So what does one do with their time?

I don't have a need to stay busy at almost 66 but I am doing less because of COVID-19. I don't like to keep a schedule so volunteering is out. I cut cable about 4 years ago and only watch free broadcast channels available with my $15 indoor antenna. Mostly NFL & college football in season. Lately I have been watching some westerns on a channel called GRIT. Never knew it existed until I flipped through all of the available channels. It's really nice watching some of the old Randolph Scott, John Wayne and Audie Murphy westerns.

Before the virus hit, I normally took 4 long cruises a year. When at home, I visited the gym for
a body pump class and aerobics 6 days a week.

Currently, I go to a local park daily to do a 4 mile brisk walk at just under an hour. Even though
the gym has reopened with certain restrictions, I have stayed away out of caution since I believe
in science and not hoaxes. Reading is a hobby so always have books from the local library.

Anyway, I like to go places internationally. Cruising again may have to wait until 2022.

I am doing and have done things that were beyond my ability prior to 2012, my mind was shattered by mental illness and the very most I could do was feed my nicotine addiction in the laundry room away from all social interaction. This was my life for 34 years.
I call it a miracle that March Easter when my medication intake was more than any man could handle. With no will of my own, I was led into the bathroom, opened the curtain and turned the shower on.

My background is Christian. Since childhood I thought I was saved. After all, my father baptised me? On the day of my true baptism I pulled back the shower and entered the warm stream of water washing over my broken mind and body. I paused momentarily before leaving from the other side of the shower curtain. It was a resurrection; since that time I have maintained steady employment, got my Bachelor's degree and lived better than before.

I love life, it is who I am.

i am not yet retired and i am curious what those of you who have retired do with your time. how do you keep busy? i know my parents sleep a lot and watch a lot of tv. they used to go eat out a couple times a week. is there someplace to go to meet other seniors and maybe make some friends?
Retired graphic designer here... the projects just come naturally. I have recently moved to the beach. The peace comes with long walks on the sand, the sound of waves crashing, lots of wind and time to contemplate what I can no longer change. Acceptance comes. And i'm never being in a hurray to be anywhere any longer.

Attachments

• 8dwPFP0zQSKztfkb5JgBCA.jpg
    8dwPFP0zQSKztfkb5JgBCA.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 4
Retired graphic designer here... the projects just come naturally. I have recently moved to the beach. The peace comes with long walks on the sand, the sound of waves crashing, lots of wind and time to contemplate what I can no longer change. Acceptance comes. And i'm never being in a hurray to be anywhere any longer.
Beautiful photo and I love watching those birds run in and out just ahead of the surf.

I have been retired for 10 years. I wrote sort of a long essay on these wonderful years, and would like to share them.
Today is the 10th anniversary of my retirement. I only waited long enough in January 2009 to be sure my profit sharing (7.5%of my salary) was deposited to my 401K. The next day we were on an airplane to Santiago, Chile for 14 day tour of South America.

It has been an exciting 10 years, mostly due to my new wife, who was also widowed.

She said she wanted to travel, to see things she had only dreamed about. Our first trip together was to Tahiti, which she had dreamed about from the age of 17. In fact, we were married on the island of Santorini, Greece while on another cruise. Well, after 51 trips, 17 cruises and 500 travel days, our bucket list is just about complete.

We recently upgraded our cars from a 1998 and 2003 to a 2017 and 2016. Being Financially Independent, we paid cash for both cars. NO car payments.

Other than traveling, you might ask what I have done to fill the time. I renewed my pilot’s license, and dedicated myself to flying for 2 charitable organizations. The main one is Angel Flight West, flying patients to and from their appointments in distant cities.

This gives the patients the opportunity to receive advanced treatment at no transportation cost to them. Some of the patients have conditions so rare I have to Google the condition to just to see what it was. The other is Pilots n’ Paws, flying rescued animals to new forever homes.

I have accumulated over 400 hours doing these flights, paying for them out of my own pocket,

For fun, I have also had the opportunity to pilot a Korean War MiG-15 jet as well as three WW2 aircraft, an SNJ trainer, a B-25 bomber, and to celebrate my 80th birthday, a P-51 Mustang. I also joined the United Flying Octogenarians which is an organization for pilots over 80.

I volunteered with the IRS/AARP doing tax preparation for seniors and low income clients. Recently I started volunteering at a local Hospice repairing their wheelchairs and walkers.

I also volunteer for a local railroad society and act as a car attendant on a local tourist railroad, helping passengers get on and off the cars and punching tickets. I am also in the process of restoring a 23 Ton switch engine, which is almost as old as me, but I am in better shape.

As you can see, I have been busy and productive for the past 10 years of retirement, and it has made me a happy man.

I have to thank my parents, who lived to be 93 and 102 for giving me the genes that keep me going. I am blessed with good health and hope to celebrate many more anniversaries with my wife.
Life is good!

I have a house. That being said, I always have a list of things to get done. I have a yard. That list is even longer. I try to exercise 3-4 times a week, work part-time at two different jobs as needed, and cook, wash dishes, laundry, cook, wash dishes, laundry, cook, wash dishes, laundry. Oh wait, maybe you mean hobbies? I like to garden, that is a long list of things to do also. I play the piano. I like to sew. I like archaeology and sometimes get to go on a dig..... If I ever get time, I am going to return to crocheting, get my pics organized, and for Christmas, I just mixed up some vanilla beans with (shhh... vodka) and am getting ready soon to make a dozen candles for Christmas gifts. Ordered the soy wax and evergreen scent, picked up a dozen half-pint canning jars to hold the candles. This is my first try at making real vanilla flavoring from beans, takes six months to two years for it to be premium, so this is for Christmas 2020. Goodness, I'm making myself tired writing all this.

Most summers, I have grandkids about 1/3 of the time, but not this summer. I might get caught up this summer..... or not.

I have a house. That being said, I always have a list of things to get done. I have a yard. That list is even longer. ......

I remember that life! .... for me alone in a large house w/large yard I worried about getting out of that situation. ... was getting too old for that lifestyle. The day finally came a few years ago, and I'm thankful everyday to be free of responsibility and headaches.
.... After kids were all grown and gone, my husband died, and being there didn't make any sense for me.

I feel like a new person these days, enjoying life in my own apartment, and doing only things I want to do. ... new friends, new car.
... my only wish is that I had a tad bit more room on my patio for planting things .. I still enjoy gardening. (on a small scale);)

I remember that life! .... for me alone in a large house w/large yard I worried about getting out of that situation. ... was getting too old for that lifestyle. The day finally came a few years ago, and I'm thankful everyday to be free of responsibility and headaches.
.... After kids were all grown and gone, my husband died, and being there didn't make any sense for me.

I feel like a new person these days, enjoying life in my own apartment, and doing only things I want to do. ... new friends, new car.
... my only wish is that I had a tad bit more room on my patio for planting things .. I still enjoy gardening. (on a small scale);)
I worry a bit, but I think that the time to move is still a while down the road. I can't imagine living in an apartment with two dogs. I would have to take them walking several times a day. Now... they just come and go in the doggie door. I would not want to give up my pets. I guess if I lived in an apartment, it would be clean and minimized. What do you do when you get it all organized and clean, you know, when everything is done? I would probably just sit around and cook and eat. I am truly glad, though, that you like your new life.

I have a house. That being said, I always have a list of things to get done. I have a yard. That list is even longer. I try to exercise 3-4 times a week, work part-time at two different jobs as needed, and cook, wash dishes, laundry, cook, wash dishes, laundry, cook, wash dishes, laundry. Oh wait, maybe you mean hobbies? I like to garden, that is a long list of things to do also. I play the piano. I like to sew. I like archaeology and sometimes get to go on a dig..... If I ever get time, I am going to return to crocheting, get my pics organized, and for Christmas, I just mixed up some vanilla beans with (shhh... vodka) and am getting ready soon to make a dozen candles for Christmas gifts. Ordered the soy wax and evergreen scent, picked up a dozen half-pint canning jars to hold the candles. This is my first try at making real vanilla flavoring from beans, takes six months to two years for it to be premium, so this is for Christmas 2020. Goodness, I'm making myself tired writing all this.

Most summers, I have grandkids about 1/3 of the time, but not this summer. I might get caught up this summer..... or not.
Not just hobbies. I'm open to listening to all of how you guys fill your days.

I saw vanilla beans & vodka & I'm gonna say "what?" What are you doing with those & when do I get mine? LOL

I worry a bit, but I think that the time to move is still a while down the road. I can't imagine living in an apartment with two dogs. I would have to take them walking several times a day. Now... they just come and go in the doggie door. I would not want to give up my pets. I guess if I lived in an apartment, it would be clean and minimized. What do you do when you get it all organized and clean, you know, when everything is done? I would probably just sit around and cook and eat. I am truly glad, though, that you like your new life.
Find more hobbies?

I am just recently retired from owning my own business since I was 25 years old. I retired back in March just before this whole Covid-19 virus thing hit really hard and handed my business over to a longtime worker of mine. So basically I have been in my home most of the time. I am lucky enough to have a pool where i can relax in my backyard on a hot day. I sip Martini's a lot at watch movies and TV.

We 'retired' in our mid 50's and it was the best career move that we made. We re-located to the other end of the country and bought an old house (c.1830-40) which we restored. Before the virus came along, we had developed a lifestyle of gardening, theatre visits and holidays, both in the UK and Europe. The travel and theatre bit has been put on hold for a while, but there's not enough hours in the day for all the other projects.
We're only in our late 60's now. Hopefully a few years yet to grow old disgracefully. Let the good times roll.

I have two different answers.

Pre-virus: Lots of social interaction, such as lunch and dinner with friends and family, writing, directing, and performing with our theater group, playing bridge, rummi cub, and scrabble, political activism. For several years, lawn bowling, until the bug bites got too much. Projects such as our annual family calendar with pictures of all of us on every page, reading, sorting through old slides. Did a fair amount of travel.

Post-virus: Streaming TV (Netflix, Prime, HBO), reading, knitting, jigsaw puzzles, container gardening on the balcony, time on computer, walking outside.

Hi folks. I am new to this so please be gentle. I hired on in 1968 and just retired in 2018. Two years later I'm still trying to find my niche. It'll still have something to do with the high iron probably. Just can't get railroading out of my blood. Take care everyone be blessed and stay safe.

So what does one do with their time?

Retire??? Not me!!! Everyday I go into all the grotto's, to make sure that the elves are making enough toys for the kids everywhere, well, let's face it, blink and it will be Christmas. ;)
That reminds me, I need to put Rudolph and his mates on a diet, hmmm, myself as well. :unsure:
Did I really wear that Santa suit last year?

I must shorten this beard too, I keep trapping it in my fly......... which makes my eyes water 'profusely'. 😊

Welcome, FastTrax. We're gentle people here .. well, most of us are ;) Whereabouts are you from? Don't have to divulge, if you'd rather not. I'm in Toronto.
View attachment 114843

No I'm not in the CIA where I could tell you but then I'd have to kill you, hmmm well maybe I could give you a hint but i'd have to injure you. I know, don't quit my day job. Anywhoo I am originally from Noo Yawk, various locales now I'm in Sanford Florida all dressed up and nowhere to go. The breakdown is in my intro. Toronto is the cleanest city I've ever seen in the Western Hemisphere. Makes New York City look like a superfund site. Saw Pink Floyd there in 1987. Outdid themselves with all 5 of my favorite songs.

PF is not an awesome Progressive rock group they are an experience to behold.

Yes I yak because I have no life. Luv you all.

No I'm not in the CIA where I could tell you but then I'd have to kill you, hmmm well maybe I could give you a hint but i'd have to injure you. I know, don't quit my day job. Anywhoo I am originally from Noo Yawk, various locales now I'm in Sanford Florida all dressed up and nowhere to go. The breakdown is in my intro. Toronto is the cleanest city I've ever seen in the Western Hemisphere. Makes New York City look like a superfund site. Saw Pink Floyd there in 1987. Outdid themselves with all 5 of my favorite songs.

PF is not an awesome Progressive rock group they are an experience to behold.

Yes I yak because I have no life. Luv you all.
My uncle Jimmy worked for the Santa Fe RR for years.

In Newton KS they had this big section where the trains switched rails. There was a place further down where you could smell this spot where the trains went under a small tunnel. Smelled like tar. I used to love that smell. They had to slow down going through town.

When me & my aunt were kids at grandma's in the summer we would get woke up by the trains in the morning. LOL

Lately it's mostly been music related. I released three singles in the last month and am exploring all my promotional options. I'm working on tracks for my next two albums; also my son and I are working on a music project together. I've been working on my music website for the last couple of days. Due to a glitch in their so called quick web creation method, I spent hours trying to complete it. A musician friend who's familiar with the site had to help me figure out what the problem was and we wound up having to start from scratch using a different method. We were actually able to work on the site together using Facebook Messenger. I could see everything she did and add my input as needed. That kind of stuff is amazing; the good side of tech.

I started a family photo album on FB for our large family and the members are really enjoying it. I must have a thousand pictures here of various family members, events and reunions. It's taking a lot of time for the scanning, captioning and adding these photos on FB. Some are older than I am. I've been keeping up with my housework better. I'm also busy trying to keep up with the three networking sites I'm on. I always seem to fall behind. Lots of T.V. shows in my watchlists when it's time to relax, as well as playing my favorite games on my devices.

Back