The silence of living alone.

I don't like the quiet either. I have two dogs and leave the tv on all day "for them". I sometimes turn it off so I can focus on what I am reading. Plus, there is no one to talk to, no one is there to give you advice or ask what you are doing. So, that is why I came here. Other seniors to talk to that experience the same stuff I do. I also find that I don't like staying home. I often take walks, as long as my knee or foot is ok. I will also go places where there are people. Even when I was caregiving and my husband didn't know who I was, I got on 6 forums and talked to people! And I hate to admit it, but, my family and I aren't as close as I would like. Texts, phone calls, aren't answered at all, or a few days later. Oh well, I also love not having cable, I have Roku and can choose what movie or show I want to watch when I want to. Love it.

For over a year, I was in and out of hospitals, care facilities,and 1 home. When I go to my local ER, I can point and say,"I've been in that cubicle, that one, that one, that one, this one's my favorite". But now I'm home. What bothers me is the silence. In all those previous places, people were running around, shouting, coughing, even vomiting. Now NOTHING. I live in the sticks where you can here deer hoofs clicking on the rocks. I have to have the TV on, if I'm awake.

Fuzzy,

Personally I love living alone and the silence (nature sounds) and I love where I live. I am in a place that is sort of rural but still have neighbors. Sometimes I wish I had more silence like what you describe but often I enjoy the occasional chat with my neighbors and it's nice having them around, we help each other out when needed and they are all fantastic people.

I am a lit little scared though for when I retire! I am a weird mix of introvert/extrovert, but I am a little scared as then I get my needed dose of socializing/interacting with others at work and through activities I do, and with family. I am very close with my grandparents and parents and I probably won't have kids of my own so I am a little scared I may have a very lonely life and that could get scary as I lose my abilities as I may not have anyone to call on to help let alone keep me company like my grandparents do. But I have many hobbies and love reading and writing too.

I see a lot of what you are describing in my Grandma (92). She lived in a neighborhood with my grandpa in a "rural, with neighbors" type setting. I think especially as she started to lose her abilities such as hearing, mobility, etc, she really started to get withdrawn and lonely, and started hearing stuff. When she moved in to AL (a move my grandpa needed as much as she did, as it wasn't safe for him (95) to really care for her anymore)...

Whenever she would get put in the hospital she would have this spark and would come alive and be doing things with such enthusiasm she would never do at home... But I think having all the attention at hospital, and seeing other people who are also having problems put things in perspective for her and made her feel more motivated to make positive progress at her level. I don't know it could be just the noise and things goig on but at least for her, seemed to be more of a psychological element to it.

My grandma seemed to become a lot happier and more engaged and grooved right in to AL! I think it was the increased social interaction that made her feel this way. Since then unfortunately she has been going down hill with falls and whatnot, but my theory is this;

My theory is that Some people just do better with more social interaction built into their life. This may be built into it say during work, and a quiet rural setting is what they enjoy. Maybe that changes when life becomes less structured?

I know when I have been unemployed for brief periods I have gone kind of nuts and found myself feeling very down and alone when out of a job and at home during the day when it is super quiet!! That all changed when I got back to work!

No idea on how independent you are, what you're up for or physical abilities but is picking up a very low stress part time job, or is a senior friendly volunteer option a possibility? My grandpa had a friend who volunteered at the hospital.... til he was 107! so I think they definitely would have options that would be senior friendly and accommodate varying levels of mobility too. Just some super random ideas! Especially since you liked certain things about the hospital. It may be fun for you to be in that atmosphere and seeing others and helping greet others may provide you a level of interaction that would be rewarding!

I vary. Sometimes, though not often, I enjoy silence, but music is my 'thing' so enjoy listening to sounds at different times through the day. The TV drives me nuts though, way too much depressing stuff going on in the world.
Now, if I can get my neighbours to be quiet I can enjoy silence whenever I want it lol

I'm comfortable with silence. For three years my mother's oxygen generator was on 24/7 and that's over with now....I don't miss it. She also liked radio talk shows and I don't miss that either.
However, when I bake every day for the farmers market Saturday sales I usually have the kitchen TV turned on to a news channel. Unlike Janie, the depressing news doesn't drive me nuts.
It's possible that I've become accustomed to being just a bit nuts already.

I guess I am not really alone with my birds chattering all the time. I also live on a busy main street where you can hear the noise of cars, motorcycles, people talking at times. I do like to have peace and quiet at times, too, like early mornings with the tv and radio off when all my pets are sleeping. It can be soothing for me. But silence all the time..I don't think I'd like that much.o_O

We downsized from a four bedroom to a two bedroom, one very small which we converted to a office. The house is roughly a little less than eight hundred squire feet. Roommate keeps tv going from time she gets up till bedtime. I spend my time on the computer or reading but anywhere in this little house the sound of the tv is prominate and disturbing, so I wear ear phones a lot while on the computer. This helps, but I'm happy in my own skin, enjoy the quite and solitude. I often get up at five am to enjoy the quite time. I suspect if I lived alone, it no doubt be different.

We live in the ' sticks ' too. And isolation is not good for anyone except a very few who can deal with it. I am not happy here but we have built this place from scratch. Nobody had lived here for over 70 years when we bought the place.
I do get stir crazy and lonely. We moved her to raise guard donkeys and have organic garden. Had place named 'Sassy Ass Acres ' after my donk Rosie. Hubby got injured and things changed. Now we are old and it is getting harder to keep up all the work.
I'm still wonderign what we should do.

For over a year, I was in and out of hospitals, care facilities,and 1 home. When I go to my local ER, I can point and say,"I've been in that cubicle, that one, that one, that one, this one's my favorite". But now I'm home. What bothers me is the silence. In all those previous places, people were running around, shouting, coughing, even vomiting. Now NOTHING. I live in the sticks where you can here deer hoofs clicking on the rocks. I have to have the TV on, if I'm awake.
I hope you are not describing how it will be for me some day in the future.

I bet when you were in those places, you wished you could get some peace & quiet. I don't see how people can rest when they are in hospitals or nursing homes. There's been times I know I should have been in the hospital (fainted and/or had episodes of atrial fibrillation) but I couldn't see how it would benefit my condition to always be disturbed. T.V. is one form of "company" for sure. Hopefully you can immerse yourself in shows of interest enough that the silence doesn't lead to feeling too lonely.

I understand completely!! I had to move to a warmer climate for health reasons. HUGE mistake. Im a big city girl, this is a small town. I dont have a car and getting around is near impossible. I have no friend nor family here. The sounds of nature is strange to me. It sometimes frightens me. I dont get out, so making acquaintances will be near to impossible. I cry a lot from the lonely silence. At least in the city, I could go to near by coffeeshops and enjoy the hussel bussel of people moving about. I pray it will get better. I know getting a license and a car will help. At least I will be able to get out more.

Back