What do you do for exercise? What motivates you to do it?

I’m struggling with finding avenues to work out this year. I used to go to the gym 3-5 times a week but gyms are closed where I live. I love walking around the city, exploring but I was diagnosed with Crohns years ago and just can’t chance a long walk anymore.

I have a recumbent bike and a weight bench with barbells but I just can’t get motivated to use either. I miss the social aspect of the gym, even if I didn’t talk to many people it felt like I was interacting with others which I like.

I know when the gym is open again I will go regularly, but until then it sucks.
I walk around in my apartment every commercial, go walk around the store, just find ways to walk and get in 10,000 steps a day. I will be on a diet plan again in a day or so and without exercise, it won't work.

In the summer I get a good workout cutting the grass which takes nearly 2 hours with cleanup. That's every 5 to 7 days. In the winter I do weight exercises in the basement and walk around the neighborhood.

I have a recumbent bike and a weight bench with barbells but I just can’t get motivated to use either. I miss the social aspect of the gym, even if I didn’t talk to many people it felt like I was interacting with others which I like.
The social contact was a big part of going to the gym for me. Many seniors in this rural area are "out of luck" for their fitness and social needs, due to the (pre Covid) loss of our gym. I do have a treadmill and elliptical that I use 45-60 minutes, 7 days a week. This morning Santa brought me a Pull Up & Dip Station, or as they called the one at the gym- "the captain's chair".

Attachments

• two.jpg
    two.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 7
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 7
Does using your bike help with Crohns?
I haven’t tried long enough to know, although I imagine regular exercise would help but that’s generally the case for most health issues. I now suffer from obesity due to inactivity and prednisone that I was on for a year to keep the inflammation at bay - it makes you gain weight like crazy, I was waking at 3/4 am because I was so hungry I couldn’t stay asleep. So the extra weight doesn’t help. If I could motivate myself to exercise more I think it would benefit my crohns.

I am a life long walker,I walk everywhere within reason
I take 2-3 walks/day{weather permitting} this is how I get my exercise, enjoy walking in all sorts of weather,it energizes me.I rather breathe in cool,crisp air than go to a gym,which has never appealed to me.I also walk up/down the stairs in my apt building,my apt is on the 3rd floor.

I was playing full court basketball till covid, that and pickleball. I find it much easier to exercise when playing a sport rather than just spending time on a treadmill. I just had hip replacement so basketball is out going forward but can still play pickle ball and walk the golf course. I have a nice weight set in the basement, too.

Through the week, almost every day I shoot hoops with the kids here at the apartments. There's this one kid who I swear has a great future in pro basketball. A phenominal player and he works hard at improving. Hope he gets all the right opportunities. Most weekends my exercise is keeping up with Collin; playing on the playground, kicking the soccer ball around, taking little hikes. That's all "weather permitting", otherwise cleaning up the house and washing laundry is my exercise. Motivation: cleanliness.

The OP's question:

What do you do for exercise? What motivates you to do it?​

My answer:

What I do for exercise...run.

What motivates me to do it...the police and bank security guards.

What?!?!?!? :devilish:

Tony
I walk to get 10,000 steps a day. I did not make that yesterday because I was watching the inauguration. I am motivated by the progress I see on the scales. I am doing the weight watchers way because it really works with me.

I walk to get 10,000 steps a day. I did not make that yesterday because I was watching the inauguration. I am motivated by the progress I see on the scales. I am doing the weight watchers way because it really works with me.
My wife attended a few Weight Watchers meetings. I thought they had a very reasonable program with losing weight gradually and having group support for the long haul, but their products might get a bit expensive after a while.

Tony

My gym membership (which I hardly used) expires this month. I am not renewing because I use my entire house as my gym. For example, the the breakfast bar in the kitchen is where I do a lot of exercises! I feel better now since I don't have to tear my hair out looking for somewhere to park or having meaningless chats with people when all I want to do is exercise!

An old back injury (i.e., trying to do dives at 40 that I did as a teenager) made walking any distance (e.g. more than a mile) very painful. Doc said non-operable arthritis had set in. My solution had always been taking every advantage of stairs until we picked up one of these to put in the basement. I can use this with no back pain and so far it seems to help me keep spry.

mar14_2020_bowflex8.jpg

The motivation is, naturally, to maintain a spry lifestyle and continue motorcycle riding and related photography as long as possible. How much is that worth? Priceless!

Last edited:
I was always a solid believer in exercise. We have to move to stay healthy. Since December 3rd, I seldom do much of anything, except walk on the treadmill. I did try to run a few weeks ago, but with my breathing issues, I'm not ready for that step yet. Maybe I will try again in a week or so. I am feeling better than I did just 2 weeks ago. I think the steroids are finally helping.

My wife and I have been life long dancers, as in Latin & Ballroom, with a few offbeat dances, sequence dances and those here today gone tomorrow, dances.

Who remembers The Lambada? It's a close coupled, fast pace Latin dance that gained quite a reputation for it's sexual innuendo style of dance moves.

It must have been about six months after the dance's notoriety had left the tabloid's headlines, when my wife and I were at a summer ball, a charity event that was organised by a number of Christian churches. The venue was in one of the church halls.

After the band had played their first set, a DJ was spinning discs, nothing special, just easy listening. A lady asked for The Lambada music, adding, I can't dance Lambada but I just love the music. So the DJ obliged her request. "Come on," urged my wife, "What?" I replied, "Lambada, what else?" She said, looking at me like I was stupid. "You can't," I argued, "this is a church event." "Oh don't be so stuffy," she chided, dragging me onto the dance floor.

As soon as we stepped out onto the floor, the general hub-bub of noise diminished, it was as if all eyes were on us. The one thing about Lambada, you can't dance it timidly, either do it or stay off the floor. We did it, I boy, were all the eyes in the room on us, or what? As the music ended and we walked off the dance floor, I expected a stony silence, after all, this was a church event. What I wasn't expecting was an applause with a roar of approval. Just as we reached our seats, a fellow wearing a dog collar came up, I thought: "Uh-oh! Now we are for it." "Do I know you?" Asked the cleric. "Well we're not famous, Father," I replied, "More like infamous after what I've just seen," he said, as he wondered off. Oh dear!

For the last several years, we have had a Silver Sneakers with our Advantage Plan, and we went to the fitness center almost every day. My husband works out with weights, and I would swim for an hour and do water exercises.
Once covid lockdown started , we could not go and do that anymore (hoping it will be accessible again before too long), so what I have been doing is walking back and forth through the house.
I do not have to go anywhere, or worry about what the weather is. My Apple Watch prompts me to walk every hour, and when it does, I make 10 laps back and forth through the house, from one end to the other.
At the end of the day, I have walked around 3 miles, assuming that I actually do the laps each hour.

Now that it is finally starting to warm up a bit, I am hoping to be able to go outside and work in the yard and take Poodle on some walks down the street and back.
Maybe the fitness center will re-open the parts that have been closed, and I can go and swim again. I love swimming, and am looking forward to doing that.

Back