What do you do for exercise? What motivates you to do it?

Every morning while brushing my teeth with my electric toothbrush I stair climb on one of the 12" steps to my tub. 25 steps per section of my mouth, then another 4 per back corner, so 116 ups and downs. Takes me about six minutes but it's a pretty good workout. Plus my dentist always remarks on how clean my teeth are!

I started this about 7 years ago. Began with 10 steps per section and have gradually worked my way up. Will move to 30 per section soon.

When the weather is conducive walking the neighborhood, DH & I walk 30 minutes to an hour. Right now it's very hot and the air quality is poor because of nearby fires.

Last edited:
Divisible by 4. I break my mouth into four segments. Inner bottom, outer bottom, inner top, outer top. Just recently added extra care for my back molars.

Exercise bores me to tears. That's why I have to combine it with another activity or I'll stop it altogether.

Divisible by 4. I break my mouth into four segments. Inner bottom, outer bottom, inner top, outer top. Just recently added the outside of my back molars.

Exercise bores me to tears. That's why I have to combine it with another activity or I'll stop it altogether.
I think it's great, Star.

By no means was I trying to offend you.

Not offended. Just curious. Thanks for the explanation. :D

We're good, @Aunt Marg!
Just so you know, Star, your avatar always puts me in a good mood when I see it, so after reading your post about brushing, my brain, being as busy as it is, conjured up your avatar with toothbrush in-hand, doing steps and counting, hence my laughing smiley. :)

I work out every night, Late. This is my routine.

I do 11 miles on the stationary bike,
then in order:
7 miles on the Nordic track cross county skier.
4 miles on the real bike which is a mountain Bike (Skunk dependent)
then: 12 curls
15 arm rotations
10 arm circles
35 trunk twisters
20 sky to toe touches
15 diagonal toe touches
25 push ups
15 hip rotations
35 side dips
28 set ups
25 push ups
5 - 80 count planks

I try to change up the sequence every week so I dont get to relaxed with it. But thats my routine. About to turn 70.

Thanks

I work out every night, Late. This is my routine.

I do 11 miles on the stationary bike,
then in order:
7 miles on the Nordic track cross county skier.
4 miles on the real bike which is a mountain Bike (Skunk dependent)
then: 12 curls
15 arm rotations
10 arm circles
35 trunk twisters
20 sky to toe touches
15 diagonal toe touches
25 push ups
15 hip rotations
35 side dips
28 set ups
25 push ups
5 - 80 count planks

I try to change up the sequence every week so I dont get to relaxed with it. But thats my routine. About to turn 70.

Thanks
You do this every night?😳
I doubt I could do that once let alone every night.

Hello Keesha,
Good to hear from you, We have talked before. One of my Canadian friends. I worked in Mississauga for many years. Great area, Great people.
Yes, I do it every night. I just finished it for today, it's 1:30 AM here and Rawhide just came on the TV, so I have perfect timing. I'm sure you could. I had open heart 21 years ago, I try to stay very active. Keep in touch, good to hear from you again....

Hello Keesha,
Good to hear from you, We have talked before. One of my Canadian friends. I worked in Mississauga for many years. Great area, Great people.
Yes, I do it every night. I just finished it for today, it's 1:30 AM here and Rawhide just came on the TV, so I have perfect timing. I'm sure you could. I had open heart 21 years ago, I try to stay very active. Keep in touch, good to hear from you again....
Yes. I remember you now that you mentioned all of that.

That’s an incredible workout. My muscles ache just thinking about it but you’ve inspired me to get into a new routine. I’ve decided to seriously add weight training to my routine.

Open heart surgery 21 years ago?
You’re doing really well. It’s obvious you take your health very seriously. It’s good to know.
It’s refreshing reading some happy success stories.

11 miles on a stationary bike? Ok I read that wrong. I thought you were running.

Now in Covid restrictions I use a dvd disc that incorporates aerobics, yoga, Pilates and weights. Can do squats etc at 72 if we don’t let ourselves stiffen up. Knees struggled at first but got better.

If the rain stops I drop everything to get outdoors for fresh air and daylight to brisk walk an hour.

@ Needshave,

How long does it take you to do 11 miles on your Nordic track?

That machine seems like a good low impact way to get a full body workout, have you had it long?

Have you found it to be a dependable machine?

I'm asking because I'm going to need to alter my routine because of my arthritis and that looks like it might be the ticket.

Thanks

Oris,

My Nordia track is very old, I got it just before heart surgery and that was 21 years ago, so it is somewhere around 22-23 years old. It is the cross country skier. I have used it without failure I have not replaced one thing on it and it has never failed me. There are rollers underneath that now require I grease them more often, actually I use silicon, but other than that no issues. Its quite a workout, it takes a bit to get used to and you have to get the coordination of arms to leg movement correct, it will buck you off and that has happened. But once you got it, you got it. Mine is situated in a room with wifi and tv, I have a nightly date with you tube and some old movie or tv show. Best wishes to stay active.

Needshave,

Thank you. I hadn't thought about it before and sounds like it might be worth looking into. I'm at the point I'm having to cut back some both in intensity and duration of my exercise, arthritis and musculoskeletal issues.

I am a member of the zipper club myself, though it was only 5 years ago.

So how long does it take you to do your complete workout @needshave?
Hello Keesha,

Good to hear from you, hope things are well up North.

I normally try to start between 10:30 and 11:00 PM and I'm normally finished at 1:30 - 2:00 AM. It depends on what Rowdy Yates is doing on Rawhide and how involved I get into the show on youtube and if the Skunks are out on my road trip. But I normally plan on about 3 hours.
A funny store I can tell you. Sometimes, I will go out for a run. I was running one night thru the main downtown area of the city where I live and I heard traffic behind me, I was running on the wide area between the road and the sidewalk, I tried not to pay any attention to them and give them plenty of road. Then I saw red lights flashing behind me, my first thought the police got someone. Then I heard him burp the siren. I ran up on to the side walk and stopped, turned to look and it was me they were pulling over! I told them I was just out for a run! Their response was "I understand your running, what are you running from.... at 2 in the morning?" I talked my way out of it and finally convinced him I wasn't running from anything or anyone. He let me go. But was I told to go home, not finishing my run. Now If I run, its only during the daylight hours.

Good to hear from you Keesha, please keep in touch.

Oris,

I'm not sure if the Nordic Track is good for the symptoms you are experiencing or not. I would suggest you go to a Nordic showroom and they will let you try the machine. You might be able to make a determination from that trial demonstration/experience. It will be very awkward when you first start out, But you have to relax and try and make it a natural movement. You will know in only a few minutes if you like the machine or if it likes you.

Hopefully your health is well, best wishes..

Hello Keesha,

Good to hear from you, hope things are well up North.

I normally try to start between 10:30 and 11:00 PM and I'm normally finished at 1:30 - 2:00 AM. It depends on what Rowdy Yates is doing on Rawhide and how involved I get into the show on youtube and if the Skunks are out on my road trip. But I normally plan on about 3 hours.
A funny store I can tell you. Sometimes, I will go out for a run. I was running one night thru the main downtown area of the city where I live and I heard traffic behind me, I was running on the wide area between the road and the sidewalk, I tried not to pay any attention to them and give them plenty of road. Then I saw red lights flashing behind me, my first thought the police got someone. Then I heard him burp the siren. I ran up on to the side walk and stopped, turned to look and it was me they were pulling over! I told them I was just out for a run! Their response was "I understand your running, what are you running from.... at 2 in the morning?" I talked my way out of it and finally convinced him I wasn't running from anything or anyone. He let me go. But was I told to go home, not finishing my run. Now If I run, its only during the daylight hours.

Good to hear from you Keesha, please keep in touch.
3 hours every night? How old are you?
When I first looked at your list my muscles hurt just reading it.

The most exercise I did today was an hour walk but I want to get back into the habit of daily exercise. My bones, joints, and muscles are starting to hurt from not getting enough exercise. I’m in a depression and more exercise would be good.

I can’t say I’ve been pulled over by the cops for jogging or walking but we don’t see that many living where we do.

3 hours??? Wow! I couldn’t do that but good for you. That’s super ambitious. I’m going to do a balance ball DVD workout tomorrow and look for my hand weights 🏋️‍♀️

Keesha!

Always good to hear from you. Yes three hours a night. I will be 70 next month. I have been doing that routine for many years, even when we travel I have always tried to do some exercise.

Keesha, take care of those joints. Its very important and not something that is reversible. The space between my thumb ball and thumb socket has dramatically reduced in both thumbs. My Upper extremity doctor/surgeon told me that both thumbs joints should be replaced, but because you are so active, you have relatively little pain. Once you stop and allow arthritis and other diseases in, there is no going back. Surgery will then be necessary. I was told to just stay active and forget the thumb joint replacement and surgery. I have done just that. I have a business here that I still manage as well as I have historic buildings that I restore, and I will be mixing concrete tomorrow, so I remain very active.

Good luck with your exercise tomorrow, Let me know how you are doing. I have a half ball balance ball, that I use. I have my feet on it when I do planks, it was very awkward when I first started.

Well, I just got started on the stationary bike. I have a desk built that extends over the bike and I can use the lap top and the bike at the same time, I have Rawhide in cue, so I'm all set. So take care, write when you can.

Just so you know, Star, your avatar always puts me in a good mood when I see it
I love that avatar and am glad you like it, too. I call it "Yippee!"
The taproom crew loves it too

Every morning while brushing my teeth with my electric toothbrush I stair climb on one of the 12" steps to my tub. 25 steps per section of my mouth, then another 4 per back corner, so 116 ups and downs. Takes me about six minutes but it's a pretty good workout. Plus my dentist always remarks on how clean my teeth are!

I started this about 7 years ago. Began with 10 steps per section and have gradually worked my way up. Will move to 30 per section soon.

So that's what you were doin' at the taproom last night

Brushersizing

...and Radi was in on it

x1tZbXC.jpg

Back