What do you do for exercise? What motivates you to do it?

This is a long thread and I didn't read all the way through to see if I've replied but my answer is different now than a few years ago anyway.

I used to walk and go the gym and was in pretty good shape but then I started having back problems so slowly I quit doing most of the things I did before to keep fit.

It's so hard to get motivated but I need to at least start walking...my neighborhood is boring and Ive been thinking about getting a cheaper treadmill.

I have enough room in what I call my recliner room. It's the smallest bedroom in the house and is off the kitchen and that's where I usually sit in my recliner on my iPad. I also have a TV in here that I never watch.

The carpet in this room is the crappiest too so a treadmill would cover most of it so even if I never use the cheap treadmill it would still be worth it.

My only concern is getting it assembled and also wondering if the cheap ones are safe. Anybody know?

I saw some cheap ones on Amazon that even have a place to put your iPad. I wouldn't have to go out to walk at the crack of dawn when it's still cool enough in Fresno, that's always an issue here. In winter the problem is rain.

I'm great when it comes to eating healthy and maintaining my weight but exercise is just as important.

I walk a lot most days and do some DIY and gardening, lots of walking on my vacations and I still run up the stairs here rather than walk, falling over has become a feature of my life at times, though I guess that's not really exercise
v9V9WIvx0FbUAXxE_Eq5.gif

I walk 5K on a resistance treadmill 2 or 3 times a week. Do water aerobics, and I do a lot of gardening, lawn work and housework.. stretching and scrubbing. I have dogs that must be walked daily too... so that helps keep me active. Actually, I'm more active now that I've retired and not sitting on my hind end at a desk at work 8 hours a day. I'm up and moving

Usually I walk a lot, either outside or on my treadmill, but right now I can't. I wrenched my knee pretty badly and the doc says I have to take it easy for a little while if I expect it to heal. Otherwise I might find myself an occupant of his operating table again. I think I'd rather take it easy a little while.

I bought an electric bike 4 years ago and I ride it often. You can ride it with the power on or off which allows you to get regular bike exercise if you're feeling spirited, or you can use the power assisted pedaling when you want to catch a breath. Makes bike riding a little friendlier. (Also you can blow by those skinny road bikers in the phosphorescent spandex, just make sure you ring your bell when you pass.)

In addition to my almost daily yard work, etc., I've been doing some extra training on my home gym to build up my strength for my upcoming Fall wood harvesting. Every year, I go through the forest and harvest the dead or damaged trees, and usually wind up with about 8 or 9 cords of firewood. Given that a cord of oak weighs about 4,000 lbs., and I handle each piece of wood at least 4 or 5 times from the forest to the tractor, to the log splitter, to the tractor, to the wood pile, to the wheel barrow, to the furnace....that adds up to somewhere between 150,000 to 200,000 pounds of lifting every Fall/Winter...now, That is some Serious weight training....plus, it saves us hundreds of dollars each year on the electric bill.

I'm going to start the 20minute video someday soon...I go to the gym three times a week. ten different weight machines, and 15 minutes on the tread mill.

My motivation is my promise to myself that I only have to stand in front of the tv every morning and move for 10 minutes. Most days that becomes 20 or 30 and I hold a 5 lb weight in each hand and do yoga poses in between.
However on those days I think I don't want to do it I know I only have to move around for 10 minutes.
This morning that's how I felt but it ended up 20 minutes of low impact aerobics holding weights. That's usually what happens once I start.
Then I ate a peanut butter and banana sandwich.

That's why I have my treadmill in front of the TV in the den. It bores me silly do just do it with nothing else going on. So I watch TV while I'm doing it. When the weather is decent, I'll go outside and go on a long walk with my dog.

Had rowing machines various for about thirty years. Now down to three times a week. Tunturi execise bike once a week, and weight training in a very minor way.. Used to run up to five miles a week three times a week and before that tennis and badminton.
Walking? Not enough!!

I walk every day for cardio and stretch along with Miranda Esmonde-White DVDs for flexibility. I also do tai chi, which has improved my balance and coordination far more than I ever expected. The combination of the three has increased my stamina and strength. The added bonus is that I stopped having any feelings of depression somewhere along the way.

I do tai chi, also, and some yoga. I go for a walk every night, but not as far as I'd like to...serious back problems. After I have back surgery, though, I plan to get out on my bicycle every day. Love riding my bike. It's got a smallish wooden trailer-wagon I can tow behind it for when I do a little shopping.

I did my usual Friday routine today.

A two mile walk (took me 40 minutes) and Bench presses as follows with sets at 4 minute intervals.

20.0 KG.(044 lbs.) X 10
35.0 KG.(077 lbs.) X 8
50.0 KG.(110 lbs.) X 6
65.0 KG.(143 lbs.) X 4
72.5 KG.(159 lbs.) X 3
80.0 KG.(176 lbs.) X 2
87.5 KG.(192 lbs.) X 1
85.0 KG.(187 lbs.) X 1
85.0 KG.(187 lbs.) X 1
85.0 KG.(187 lbs.) X 1
85.0 KG.(187 lbs.) X 1
85.0 KG.(187 lbs.) X 1
85.0 KG.(187 lbs.) X 1
85.0 KG.(187 lbs.) X 1
85.0 KG.(187 lbs.) X 1

I try to do a bit more cardio since I trainer told me how important it is. I'm motivated by looking, feeling and functioning great.

Didn't see any threads on this and am wondering what everyone does to get/keep fit and healthy?

I go to the gym 3 mornings a week, and at home I do dumbbells, lunges, squats, planks, abs, etc etc. I've done a lot of research and building muscle as well as cardio exercise is very important for good health, bone density, stamina, strong heart and lungs, reducing chances of injury, etc etc. So I'll keep doing this until I simply can't any more. I'm 62 but physically feel like about 40. :)

I garden when I can. I used to walk my dogs, but they are now deceased. I used to walk the neighborhood with my trekking poles, but can't now due to Yogi being spotted nearby at all hours. And when it isn't Yogi, its a puma. Or loose pit bulls. So I try to get as much walking done as I am able, by parking further from the front of stores, wandering isles in antique shops, or sitting at my pc chair and doing leg lifts.

Trade.....

Pardon my saying, and i do not mean it in a negative way but...Your routine is sort of odd ? And long. 4 minutes between sets ?

Is there a reason for it? Or do you find that it just works for you ?

Do you do anything else in terms of weight lifting ?

I walk about 40 minutes 3 or 4 times a week. I started doing this in the 80's and have been doing it since. What motivates me is: I enjoy it so much and if I can't do it sometime, I miss it.

I use an exercise bench, where I use weights that allow me to do 20 reps for each exercise, with both barbells and dumbbells.

I also ride my bike on short trips...2 miles or less.

Because of lower back arthritis, I use a Walker...at the Home Show, the Swap Meet, or the County Fair, I do it with a Walker.

Even in the supermarket I'll use a shopping cart as a Walker while my wife loads her cart with groceries.

I don't "work out"... I just exercise a little.

I've never been inside a Gym in my life!

What's my motivation? Whenever I feel like it!

Hal, age 81.

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    190.8 KB · Views: 32
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
I take daily long walks outdoors every day for exercise. I need to start stretching again though, and working on my upper body strength which seems to be in decline this past year or so. My husband also has a weight bench with various weights I can use. I was enjoying biking a few times a week, but my bike has been sitting on the porch collecting dust for some time now. Doesn't seem that there's much time in the day to do extra exercise these days with the young doggie in the house and the daily chores, etc.

The stretching and weights will start now for me, no disciplined sessions, just something at home when I can fit it in.

I do barbell squats, deadlifts, bench presses, and overhead presses.

Seeing my strength be useful in my life and seeing how hard it is for weaker people to do things that are easy for me definitely motivates me to train.

Back