What kinds of things have you found to do that are fulfilling since you retired?

I am only into 2 months of retirement so am still in the enjoying doing nothing stage. However I do spend a few hours in forums providing information and advise since I have been there and done that many times. I did not realize how many marriages are unhappy until I started joining sites about marriage and relationships. I am married 46 years and we have had a great life and still madly in love. Very surprised how spouses cannot compromise or solve the many problems that living with another person come your way. My message is usually something along the lines that rather than go down with the ship when the marriage structure handed to them does not work, perhaps they should swim to another ship.

I retired early, I think it was August, 1996. That's twenty-two years off the clock and payroll. I've done a bunch of things, volunteered with Friends of the Library for six or eight years. That was probably the most productive I've been, that is I could see ther most results from what I did with Friends. That, I suppose the only volunteer work I did. I have made time for myself and my diesease, being pro-active you might say in doing some of the things that helped me the most and has kept me going. I've enjoyed doing things at my own pace, doing things when I wanted to do them, and you might say th way I wanted to get things done. Now I read, do the computer, plays the harmonica. I have a couple of bird feeders that I fill during the winter months and I watch and sometime photograph the birds that take a meal in my backyard. Other than that, I relax and hangout.

I am retired but not by choice. Any how I am trying to find ways to motivate myself to do things. I am not into tough love so don't try that on me please. lol. I am trying to take small steps into making my life more meaningful. Well, please tell me what you do to make your retirement life more meaningful to you. I appreciate hearing what you do most of all.

I am trying to teach my Oak trees to stop dropping leaves all over my lawn. I spend time out there in our front yard, and every time a leaf falls, I yell at the tree to try and teach it to stop. Everything was going along fine until I had a small breeze yesterday, and lost my voice.

If leaves had some commercial value, I'd be a millionaire. We live on 40 acres of dense hardwood forest...oak, walnut, hickory, etc., and starting this time of year I spend gobs of time blowing and mulching leaves. But, with mild Fall weather, and trying to keep an acre of yard looking good, I really enjoy the outdoor activity.

When I retired, it was time to write my book. The scope and title of that "book" has changed over time, with nothing even remotely publication-ready. I guess such a situation is pretty normal. But I do feel a bit guilty about the gigabytes of space I'm using, though it must be only on my computer memory, and not impacting anyone else.

I retired a few months ago. I have hobbies that I love (sewing, crafting, working on my house) but they are pretty isolating. When the weather is nice I like to ride my beach bike around the neighborhood, I sing in the church choir, and I just started being a child advocate for abused kids. Even that involves a lot of time on research and just a little with people. My husband of 40 years left me a couple of years ago and he was a loner so we didn't socialize a lot as a couple. Most of my friends were work friends and all are still working so even though I always have things to do that I enjoy, at the end of the day I am alone with my dogs. What worries me is that this is becoming increasingly comfortable and I do NOT want to become a recluse. I have tried going to church socials and I will still push myself but I feel awkward going alone, so I am looking for activities that I could do alongside others and make friends that way. I signed up for our local Habitat for Humanity but they don't have any builds going on right now. I am hoping to learn new of new ways to define myself from those of you who are active and vital. Thank you!

I retired a few months ago. I have hobbies that I love (sewing, crafting, working on my house) but they are pretty isolating. When the weather is nice I like to ride my beach bike around the neighborhood, I sing in the church choir, and I just started being a child advocate for abused kids. Even that involves a lot of time on research and just a little with people. My husband of 40 years left me a couple of years ago and he was a loner so we didn't socialize a lot as a couple. Most of my friends were work friends and all are still working so even though I always have things to do that I enjoy, at the end of the day I am alone with my dogs. What worries me is that this is becoming increasingly comfortable and I do NOT want to become a recluse. I have tried going to church socials and I will still push myself but I feel awkward going alone, so I am looking for activities that I could do alongside others and make friends that way. I signed up for our local Habitat for Humanity but they don't have any builds going on right now. I am hoping to learn new of new ways to define myself from those of you who are active and vital. Thank you!
Hi, My first thought on reading your post, is to join a ukulele group, which is very popular in Australia. My experience might be unique as I had no musical experience. I gravitated to a baritone ukulele and now I play in a church group and at nursing homes and run a group with my husband. We put on four concerts with the whole group per year which makes sizable amounts for worthy causes and have a great life here in our country town.

I am trying to teach my Oak trees to stop dropping leaves all over my lawn. I spend time out there in our front yard, and every time a leaf falls, I yell at the tree to try and teach it to stop. Everything was going along fine until I had a small breeze yesterday, and lost my voice.

I have a lot of maple trees with lots of leaves, I always wish for a strong NE wind to blow them over on the neighbor. It happens every year. lol

good luck hope you find your calling.

Write (whatever comes to mind)

here's one now;

Some time ago, decades now, we were bringing our grand kids to our house for Christmas.

obrXMzZ.jpg

I was in a mood.
This mood was driven by the fact that I wanted Christmas to ourselves, on the coast,
hiding, eating decadent things, watching the tides from our beds, hanging the ‘do not disturb’ sign on the door, humping, sleeping like overfed dogs.

But, n-o-o-o-o, here we were, hauling these two trunk monkeys to our place.
And only ‘cause their gramma (namaw) didn’t want them to have a miserable Christmas.

Now, now their drunken father could swill beer and drive, and maybe (be still my heart) smack into a telephone pole, killing only hisself.
And their mother (our daughter) could freely run around with her despicable friends to parties,
doing mile long lines of coke, and whatever I don’t care to know.

There they were, in the back seat, smacking each other over the head with The Pokey Little Puppy and Tootles.

We passed an entertainment park.

'ENCHANTED F-O-O-R-R-REST!!!'

‘We had the best time there!’

‘Good rememories.’

A rush of memories came to me too.
The Alice in wonderland path.
Keeping up with them.
Wheezing.
Panting.

They did enjoy themselves though.

Getting lost in the funhouse.
Screaming hysterically midway in the rabbit hole.
Getting cotton candy everywhere.
Buuuut once their namaw calmed me down and cleaned me up, I was back to my cantankerous self.

We were almost home.
The little one, we call him ‘Mayo’, still had a smile on his face as his older brother patted him on his head,
wiping his sneeze goo filled hand in his brother’s hair.

As we pulled into the drive, the monkeys, dead asleep, slumped over in their seatbelts like they’d been shot,
stirred, jumped up and fought each other to be first in the house, first at the tree, first into the stockings, giving me a rush of memories too.

We played table games as namaw cooked, wrestled in the living room until we knocked off some yuletide dainties, and shot pellet guns in the back yard.

Little did I know that that Christmas was gonna be one of the best times ever for them…….and a good ‘rememory’ for this old humbug too.

Photography (whatever comes into view)

iQtOB7j.jpg

Build things (whatever I wish to live in)

6iVFqHI.jpg

r2lYkqv.jpg

Poop (whatever I last ate)

4SMOBdP.jpg

And bug old people here (with whatever creation I care to post)

64pazme.jpg

bVAFoWV.jpg

2cWl7Xd.jpg

7BwoN3J.jpg

vJ5gyMT.jpg

KLNfquM.jpg

Cr86xpI.jpg

wxqFvC1.jpg

there just isn't enough time in my day

but

I try to squeeze in as much as I can

gxNRrHK.jpg

Last edited:
Write (whatever comes to mind)

here's one now;

Some time ago, decades now, we were bringing our grand kids to our house for Christmas.

obrXMzZ.jpg

I was in a mood.
This mood was driven by the fact that I wanted Christmas to ourselves, on the coast,
hiding, eating decadent things, watching the tides from our beds, hanging the ‘do not disturb’ sign on the door, humping, sleeping like overfed dogs.

But, n-o-o-o-o, here we were, hauling these two trunk monkeys to our place.
And only ‘cause their gramma (namaw) didn’t want them to have a miserable Christmas.

Now, now their drunken father could swill beer and drive, and maybe (be still my heart) smack into a telephone pole, killing only hisself.
And their mother (our daughter) could freely run around with her despicable friends to parties,
doing mile long lines of coke, and whatever I don’t care to know.

There they were, in the back seat, smacking each other over the head with The Pokey Little Puppy and Tootles.

We passed an entertainment park.

'ENCHANTED F-O-O-R-R-REST!!!'

‘We had the best time there!’

‘Good rememories.’

A rush of memories came to me too.
The Alice in wonderland path.
Keeping up with them.
Wheezing.
Panting.

They did enjoy themselves though.

Getting lost in the funhouse.
Screaming hysterically midway in the rabbit hole.
Getting cotton candy everywhere.
Buuuut once their namaw calmed me down and cleaned me up, I was back to my cantankerous self.

We were almost home.
The little one, we call him ‘Mayo’, still had a smile on his face as his older brother patted him on his head,
wiping his sneeze goo filled hand in his brother’s hair.

As we pulled into the drive, the monkeys, dead asleep, slumped over in their seatbelts like they’d been shot,
stirred, jumped up and fought each other to be first in the house, first at the tree, first into the stockings, giving me a rush of memories too.

We played table games as namaw cooked, wrestled in the living room until we knocked off some yuletide dainties, and shot pellet guns in the back yard.

Little did I know that that Christmas was gonna be one of the best times ever for them…….and a good ‘rememory’ for this old humbug too.

Gary, what you did for those two cuties reminds me a lot of the things my Grandparents used to do for me. I still have the greatest memories of those times to this day and will treasure them til the day I die. You gave them and yourselves something very special that Christmas day. Good on you and the Mrs!

I love shopping. Even if I don't plan on purchasing anything. I just enjoy window shopping. In the evenings I enjoy going to Art Shows and Art Museums which is usually with my daughter. My granddaughter is also involved in theater so I also enjoy going to see her perform in the stage shows she is in. If I just want to relax though and being a School Librarian my entire life I just like to go out on my front or back porch with a nice book and read.

To me, interaction with people is the key. That led me in two directions that have become important to me. Local theater - on the stage, behind the stage, sound/lighting - whatever is needed. That in turn took me into the re-creation of old time radio shows. We started figuring we'd sit around in a circle and read to each other. As it turns out there is an audience for such a thing. We've been doing it for about 8 years, enjoyed it immensily and have a sold audience of "loyal fans".

And then there is plunking away on an instrument with fellow bluegrass/old country music lovers. The interaction of the voices and instruments is the fun part to me. We are not headed for Nashville but we do enjoy it.

I retired back in January and my husband still works and plans on working for at least another 2 years. I agree with watching the grandkids if possible. I love spending time with my little 2 year old granddaughter and it also helps out my daughter in law and son. I also have a for friends who are also retired and once per month we go out to lunch which is nice.

I am only partially retired right now, but I have found more time to get involved in my community. It makes me feel fulfilled to still have people who I can help and can talk to. Sitting in front of a tv just isn't as fun as you think it will be when you fantasize about retirement.

I am only partially retired right now, but I have found more time to get involved in my community. It makes me feel fulfilled to still have people who I can help and can talk to. Sitting in front of a tv just isn't as fun as you think it will be when you fantasize about retirement.
Yes, the tv gets boring at times!

I am making losing weight a project - weight watchers, just started Jazzercise, and "Miracle Morning" practices. Trying to find joy in this very slow process . This is for me. For others I volunteer for CASA as a child advocate for abused/neglected children, help care for my 91 year old mother. Besides helping children, I am learning a lot about the court system, meeting judges and lawyers, etc. For my soul, I sing in the church choir, read inspirational books. I haven't traveled much in my adult life but am planning an educational trip with Road Scholars to learn about the history and see fall beauty in New Hampshire. (I live in Texas where the trees are few and don't really color-up in the fall. ) I am setting fitness goals and studying weird books in preparation for that trip. I will be so sad when my two pups die (12 years old, one deaf and one blind) but hope to be able to travel a lot more then.

hang on. im not retired yet. no pension for another 6 years. can i last? can i survive until then.
its a shame people are sometimes too sick or worn out to enjoy their retirement.

Back