What television show were you not allowed to watch as a teenager?

Bretrick

Here in Australia we had a show called Number 96. From 1972 to 1977. Us kids were packed off to bed.
Though sometimes we would sneak out a watch it, peering around the corner.
Soap Opera. Apartment 96 in a 4 story block.
The program explored Mature Subject Matter. With Full Frontal Male and Female Nudity and a Gay Kiss.
UK and US networks banned it after a short run for being "Far too Explicit"

I don't remember that I could not watch it due to its content, though at that time it was considered "racy" and not appropriate for children.........Peyton Place. The reason I could not watch it was because our bedtime was 8 or 9, not sure exactly. And it came on at 9:30. I can still see myself sneaking out of my bedroom and peeking around the corner to see the television while my parents watched it in the living room. I had to be super quiet.

Professor Bernard Quatermass was created by writer Nigel Kneale in 1953 for the serial The Quatermass Experiment. Its success led to two sequels, Quatermass II, in 1955 and Quatermass and the Pit, 1958. These three Quatermass serials are seen today as seminal 1950's television productions.

We didn't have a TV until 1958, that's when Quatermass and The Pit was aired. It scared my siblings and I witless, so much so that Dad forbade us to watch the re-runs of the first two. I remember borrowing the books from the library, they scared the **** out of me too.

American television was so wholesome, generic, and vanilla-flavored in the 50’s and 60’s that I received no bans; heck, Lucy and Ricky Ricardo slept in separate beds! “Aww shucks” was the closest thing to profanity, too. I used to delight in watching Chiller Theater as a child on Saturday night with Jiffy Pop popcorn and think the parental units thought some of it might give me nightmares, but I proved them wrong. Scary movies weren’t terribly graphic back then…🙀

My Mom was single parent most of my teens. Restrictions on tv were more about wanting me i bed at certain hour in my early teens. But she was usually out late on weekends and i took advantage of that. After my brother was born middle of my junior year HS, and she expected so much of me she knew she had to concede some things.

Last edited:
The only thing I watched regularly, was, The Ed Sullivan Show on Sunday evenings .. then, it was bedtime. My father monopolized the t.v. set. On weekend mornings and through summer holidays, my brother watched all the cartoon shows. Even now, I rarely watch t.v.

I don't remember that I could not watch it due to its content, though at that time it was considered "racy" and not appropriate for children.........Peyton Place. The reason I could not watch it was because our bedtime was 8 or 9, not sure exactly. And it came on at 9:30. I can still see myself sneaking out of my bedroom and peeking around the corner to see the television while my parents watched it in the living room. I had to be super quiet.
Ditto: Peyton Place

We weren't restricted from watching any particular show, but our mom thought she could restrict our TV watching time in general.
She had an electrician make a separate electrical cord with a plug for the back of the TV & she'd take the cord with her to work so we couldn't watch TV until she came home & made sure we did all our homework.
LOL she wasn't nearly as smart as she thought she was; we simply cut the electric cord off an old lamp & connected it to the back of the TV. Worked perfectly.

Back