What Was the Last Movie You Watched?

We watched Casablanca. I don't think I ever appreciated it as much as I did this evening -- maybe because we turned on subtitles, so I was able to follow the plot. :ROFLMAO: That was one great movie! Great characters, great story, great dialogue! Probably one of the most quoted movie in history.

We started off the evening with lobster tails and crab cakes, and then a chocolate valentine's cake. Mmmmm. :)

"Julie and Julia," my family's movie of the week. I found the ending disappointing. The two women never actually meet, which would have been a good dramatic ending. The way it ended, there were just a lot of loose ends floating around, with no dramatic climax.

Meryl Streep was wonderful, as usual, as Julia Child, and Amy Adams was adorable as usual. I'm still wondering how they managed to make Meryl look about 8 feet tall!

As a kid growing up in Brooklyn, NY I watched many great Mexican comedy movies produced during that country's Golden Cinema Era which ran roughly from the late 30s to the late 1950s. Among these super comedians were "El Loco" Valdes, Viruta y Capulina, Clavillazo, and the greatest of them all was Mario Moreno popularly known as Cantinflas who appeared in "Around the World in 80 Days" with David Niven. While he is acknowledged as the greatest Hispanic comedian of all time, when asked whom he felt was the greatest of them all he immediately named the legendary Puerto Rican comedian Adalberto Rodriguez (popularly known as "Machuchal").

Today I watched Clavillazo's famous movie "Pura Vida":

While the movie is unknown in North America movie critics agree it is one of the greatest comedies of all time. In Costa Rica the expression "Pura Vida" was adopted as a national slogan from this hilarious comedy which has a great many social implications. The movie is so funny that I had to pause it several times because I almost choked from laughter and from wheezing.

22 July (streamable on Netflix)

A fascinating dramatization of the 2011 terrorist attack where 67 teens were murdered at a youth camp on an island in Norway. Most of it was about the trial of the shooter and the politics involved.

"Waiting for Superman" a one hour documentary from 2010 about the failing state of US public schools. On Netflix. Sure made me stop and think about the disaster of automatically granting tenure to most PS teachers. :(

Nomadland (2020) with Frances McDormand on Hulu. Based on the book of the same name, it's about a woman who lost everything she had after the Great Recession and is forced to go on the road in an old van as a modern day nomad. She finds various ways to support herself working at low wage temp jobs, moving from place to place to find work and encountering people like herself just trying to survive. Quite a good movie that has been nominated for numerous awards.

As a kid growing up in Brooklyn, NY I watched many great Mexican comedy movies produced during that country's Golden Cinema Era which ran roughly from the late 30s to the late 1950s. Among these super comedians were "El Loco" Valdes, Viruta y Capulina, Clavillazo, and the greatest of them all was Mario Moreno popularly known as Cantinflas who appeared in "Around the World in 80 Days" with David Niven. While he is acknowledged as the greatest Hispanic comedian of all time, when asked whom he felt was the greatest of them all he immediately named the legendary Puerto Rican comedian Adalberto Rodriguez (popularly known as "Machuchal").

Today I watched Clavillazo's famous movie "Pura Vida":

While the movie is unknown in North America movie critics agree it is one of the greatest comedies of all time. In Costa Rica the expression "Pura Vida" was adopted as a national slogan from this hilarious comedy which has a great many social implications. The movie is so funny that I had to pause it several times because I almost choked from laughter and from wheezing.
When i was a teen living in ElPaso, Cantinflas often performed across the river in Juarez. I never got the chance to see him, but most of my Mexican-American friends did and they raved about him. My Spanish language skills were good enough that I would have understood everything. I will have to find the movie "Pura Vida."

Back