Books! How do you read and what do you read?

I'm reading "The Hideaway, by Lauren K. Denton.
Its about a gal that has an antiques shop in New Orleans (NOLA, as we call it) and finds out
she's in her grandmothers will. She's inherited the house and she goes to the town to see "The Hideaway and discovers a box her grandmother "MAGs" left in the attic with clues to a life Sara never imagined for her grandmother.

Its a good Southern "sit on the porch with a glass of tea" summer mystery.
Just downloaded this ebook, thanks for the recommendation.

The two books I read this past week "Orphan Train" (Christina Baker Kline) and "The Crooked Branch" (Jeanine Cummins) were excellent. I cut bait on "The Other Black Girl" (Zakiya Dalila Harris) after about 75 pages. Just couldn't get into it and life is too short...

Am currently reading "The Outside Boy" (Jeanine Cummins).

These are going on my "Read" list!
As much as i like Carrey, Trevor Noah's, 'Born a Crime' is the better of the two IMO. He does these little factual pages about laws and social realities in S. Africa before each personal stories chapters. Like so many of the best comedians, he's really quite brilliant. A clear tho 'out of box' thinker.

Not all SF members read or contribute to the Entertainment section. I didn't at first.

@feywon, how did you like Jim Carey's memoirs? I greatly enjoyed Trevor Noah's eye-opening Born a Crime.
While i think Trevor Noah's is the better read. Carrey's is good, if you don't lose patience with surreal scenarios (tho having heard him on talk shows--i had a clue what he was going for). The last few years had him doing some thinking about personal identity, facts/truth...and there are these little snippets that hark back to his family and childhood.

With the exception of those who have responded to this thread, there aren't a whole lot of readers here on SF, are there?

You know what they say, old age is a bᵢtch on wheels.

I used to take weekly trips to the library and read all sorts of stuff. Was a member of two books clubs, one for American History, the other for American Literature. Both clubs now inactive. I would still do a great deal of reading if only my weak eyes permitted it but they do not. In fact, I had to buy a magnifying glass to see small print on labels or pharmaceuticals. While I do use audio books they can get rather tiring very quickly. Would, if at all possible, go back to reading good books and lots of them!

Last night,finished reading'Nomadland:Surviving America In The Twenty-First Century' by Jessica Bruder which I found very interesting.,wonderful book The recent movie is based on the book
Jessica spent 3 yrs going on the road interviewing a few 'nomads' learning how their lives had changed,how they became 'nomads'
I didn't see the movie, those of you who did,a couple people had cameo appearances in the movie, Linda,Bob,Charlene

Haven't read that book but will put it on my to do list.

Did you read Wm Least Heat Moon's Blue Highways ?

75f5760c9d519efe10eb430f1c8f7e856a4cdf1e.jpg

I think you would like it.

I used to take weekly trips to the library and read all sorts of stuff. Was a member of two books clubs, one for American History, the other for American Literature. Both clubs now inactive. I would still do a great deal of reading if only my weak eyes permitted it but they do not. In fact, I had to buy a magnifying glass to see small print on labels or pharmaceuticals. While I do use audio books they can get rather tiring very quickly. Would, if at all possible, go back to reading good books and lots of them!

Same here.. My eyesight is getting in the way of me enjoying books like I used to .... my Kindle has large print, but I don't get it out much these days.

i can empathize, until i had my corneal implants (Cataracts in each removed when they did the implants) It took too much out of me to read the way i had most of my life. (Two or three books in progress at all times--often reading non-fiction works related to themes in a fiction, or two differing viewpoints on a historical event or scientific theory).

my latest reading:

970681acd29efb469f5ba2208ca4f84604fec17a.jpg

In my now defunct American History Book Club we read about ten books on Lincoln, maybe 5 on Teddy Roosevelt, 6 on the Revolutionary War, and about 5 on the Gilded Age. One of our members was an Australian professor of American history in his home town. Each of us could easily qualify for a B.A. on the subject of American History.

By the way, it has been proven that more books have been written about Honest Abe than any other historical figure except for Jesus Christ. It never ceases to amaze me how much documentation exists about his life and the incredible impact he had on the USA.

my latest reading:

970681acd29efb469f5ba2208ca4f84604fec17a.jpg

In my now defunct American History Book Club we read about ten books on Lincoln, maybe 5 on Teddy Roosevelt, 6 on the Revolutionary War, and about 5 on the Gilded Age. One of our members was an Australian professor of American history in his home town. Each of us could easily qualify for a B.A. on the subject of American History.

By the way, it has been proven that more books have been written about Honest Abe than any other historical figure except for Jesus Christ. It never ceases to amaze me how much documentation exists about his life and the incredible impact he had on the USA.
Did you read Lincoln's Last Trial by Dan Abrams? (I generally don't care for Abrams' works but this was highly recommended to me and I found it especially good.)

I'll check into Lincoln's Battle With God, thanks. It looks interesting.

Just downloaded this ebook, thanks for the recommendation.

The two books I read this past week "Orphan Train" (Christina Baker Kline) and "The Crooked Branch" (Jeanine Cummins) were excellent. I cut bait on "The Other Black Girl" (Zakiya Dalila Harris) after about 75 pages. Just couldn't get into it and life is too short...

Am currently reading "The Outside Boy" (Jeanine Cummins).
Hi Starsong,I read 'Orphan Train' a couple years ago,loved it Sue

I'm reading Kate Atkinson books, but find her writing a bit challenging. So far, into a 2nd book, but don't know if I will continue with the other 5. Anyone else familiar with her writing?
I have read books written by Kate Atkinson and have enjoyed same. But for some reason, these days I am hooked on epics...thick books with a 'ship' in it. Presently in the living-room, I am reading Sea of Poppies by Amitav Ghosh a dynasty based in 1880s during the Opium Wars which is really holding my interest as so very visual.
I am usually engrossed in two or three books at the same time. The other book with a 'ship' in it is Sphinx - a secret for a thousand years by T.S. Learner...also very visual. In the bedroom, I am reading 'I See You' by Clare Mackintosh. As Ruth Ware (a favourite author of mine) so aptly put it...'a deliciously creepy tale of urban paranoia'. Reading books of all kinds is my passion!

With the exception of those who have responded to this thread, there aren't a whole lot of readers here on SF, are there?
I beg to differ as I feel there are many readers on SF. I must comment on this International Bestseller book that I finished the other day. It is called 'The Little Old Lady Who Broke All The Rules by Catharina Ingelmas-Sundberg. I loved it all and want to join the 'gang'.

I beg to differ as I feel there are many readers on SF. I must comment on this International Bestseller book that I finished the other day. It is called 'The Little Old Lady Who Broke All The Rules by Catharina Ingelmas-Sundberg. I loved it all and want to join the 'gang'.
Then I guess there aren't many readers that find what I read/post about interesting. 😄 😄 😄

Found a new author I'm enjoying Luke McCillon. Historical fiction during WW2 . Set aside William Manchester's triology on Winston Churchill to re read after 20 odd years.

Come across the terms Aphantasia and Hyperphantasia. the former being the inability to picture in your mind what you are reading ie the story. Hyperphantasia seems to be when reading you visualize the story or book to the point you feel that its real and actually an obersver in the story watching the scene. I figure i am hyperphantasia

I guess I must have Antiphantasia, I can't picture anything (other than letters or numbers) in my mind, not even colors (except for a dark reddish brown which is the inside of my closed eyelids probably). I can look at a pic of a beautiful green meadow with beautiful red wildflowers, for instance; but as soon as I close my eyes and try to picture it in my mind, all I get is that dark reddish brown. I wonder if it goes along with my being born without the creative gene. :unsure:

Thank you , StarSong for mention the ORPHAN TRAIN by Christina Baker Kline ,, enjoyed it.

Just finished reading Runner by Tracy Clark a good mystery about homeless children .
Cassandra Raines private investor get call from mother of missing daughter.
Hires Raines to find her.
Raines realizes there is human trafficking ring going on.

Just started Michael Crichton’s “”Dragon Teeth”. Set in the late 1800’s about a paleontology expedition out west, Crichton manages to weave his exciting story telling style with Mark Twain-esque humor and wit.

Last night I finished reading "The Hideaway' by Lauren K. Denton, the author's 1st book
A terrific book recommended by Liberty{read her post about what the book is about} I could not put this down,took me 3 days to finish,loved it! Sue

Just finished Once There were Wolves by Charlotte McConaghy; excellent, couldn't put it down! Now reading Hairpin Bridge by Taylor Adams.

Back