Cremation or burial ? What is your choice ?

Something else I need to get into ........the aftermath of my demise. I'm thinking cremation. I have no family, wife,kids etc. I have a half sister that is seven years my senior, [pushing 80] and lives 300+ miles away. And, truth be told .... we're just not close. And my close friends [except one] are already dead, and the guy living is 18 months older than I , and a cancer survivor ...... so, who will live the longer ?

I guess my best bet is to contact an attorney & the local funeral home.

I have pretty much decided about my estate [such as it is] ... Childrens hospital(s) and rescue animals.

Something else I need to get into ........the aftermath of my demise. I'm thinking cremation. I have no family, wife,kids etc. I have a half sister that is seven years my senior, [pushing 80] and lives 300+ miles away. And, truth be told .... we're just not close. And my close friends [except one] are already dead, and the guy living is 18 months older than I , and a cancer survivor ...... so, who will live the longer ?

I guess my best bet is to contact an attorney & the local funeral home.

I have pretty much decided about my estate [such as it is] ... Childrens hospital(s) and rescue animals.
I strongly suggest that you search in your local area for a basic cremation service, and arrange a "pre need contract " that will fix the price at current rates, and make the process much simpler. My cremation service contract here in Toronto cost me $1,800 in total. All services are pre paid, and all my Wife has to do is call them when I die. They do everything from that point onwards, transport, cremation, vessel, death certificates. JimB.

Since the VA treats cremation the same as burial, I'm going with cremation and a headstone
at the National Cemetery with full honors, here in Tennessee.

Part of my ashes with be taken to my favorite Surf spot on Oahu and the rest with sit in an urn
that my wife will hopefully dust every once in a while.

This is the instructions I've written down, but they can 'wing' it if need be.
I won't much care at that point...

Cremation ashes can be buried also. They don't have to be scattered. My husband and I bought a beautiful marble cremation bench, which is hollowed out inside. The ashes are left in their container and placed inside the bench (which is enclosed), and the outside has the usual names and dates that would go on a tombstone. It's in a beautiful wooded setting, and is actually a pleasant place to visit. So it gives family and friends a place to "visit" their loved one, just as an old-fashioned tombstone would, but is a lot nicer.

One of the oldest Jewish graveyards here in Toronto is so short of burial space that they are now doing "vertical burials" where the casket goes into the ground vertically. To save the remaining space they have. A national survey here in Canada recently showed that about 75 percent of Canadians now opt for cremation over traditional funerals and burials. Cost of the traditional burial was the leading factor in the switch to cremation, followed by concerns over ground pollution. JimB.

I strongly suggest that you search in your local area for a basic cremation service, and arrange a "pre need contract " that will fix the price at current rates, and make the process much simpler. My cremation service contract here in Toronto cost me $1,800 in total. All services are pre paid, and all my Wife has to do is call them when I die. They do everything from that point onwards, transport, cremation, vessel, death certificates. JimB.

Thanks

Sounds like sound advice, I will look into it.

Cremation, no service/memorial, no embalming, done and done. Put the ashes in a container that can be mixed with my husband's ashes and our most loved dog. Son is to take us to Lake Tahoe to spread our ashes. We always talked about retiring there. We are at least going to go there one way or another. LOL

When I kick the bucket, I know if they bury me, one day they are going to want to build a McDonald's over me. I've just got my grave the way I like it, and that happens- sooner or later. So, I want to be cremated, and my ashes dropped into my septic tank. If you knew all the grief, I went through to get the damn thing, you'd understand. And I do not want a viewing. If I've been dead three days, and embalmed, and some idiot walks up to my casket and says, "Doesn't he look good?". I'm coming out after the SOB.

Cremation...no fuss, no muss. Cardboard box straight from hospital or wherever it happens.
Throw my ashes in the lake or whatever.

I was raised Catholic and always remember Ash Wednesday when priest would smear ash on the forehead with the words..
Ashes to Ashes Dust to Dust and into Dust Thou shalt return.
Horrified me and other kids
Did not have a clue what it all meant then;)

So looking forward to my next lifecheers banner.gif

I'm planning to do as Tish is going to do. I refuse to pay a lot of money for this. I will donate my body, I guess to a hospital, and they can do with it as they wish, as long as it's free. I really don't care.

I'd kinda like a grave marker to visit when I come back next time.
Rather go to a higher world though,
besides, the marker will likely be covered with rubble anyway.
Can't think about that now.
I'll think about that tomorrow.

We have prepaid for urns to be put in a niche at the cemetery.Have paid for opening & closing for 2 people.Had a bigger one just in-case my son wants to go there.

We still have a plot at the cemetery,where my family is.

We bought our urns at https://perfectmemorials.com/...A few year ago.paid about 60 dollars for each.Bought a nice one for our last dog there.At the time they only shipped to the US.So, had shipped to the border to pick up.Now they ship to Canada.

We have not paid for the cremation itself.We wanted no service as well.

Prices here around 1400. Some funeral homes want you to purchase a casket for the cremation.My MIL had made her arrangements that way.

I have on my health card for organ donations.If anything left that is good ..May help some else.

I picked up my wife's ashes on Friday the 10th, and kept them at home until the12th.
On the morning of the12th there was a moderate earthquake here, as if to say
even the ground was unhappy.
I drove out to Oxnard, where we went for most of the 29 anniversaries we
celebrated, and rented a kayak. The people there were very helpful getting the
two of us launched, and I paddled out to the marina entrance. It took about a half
hour of paddling until I could get clear of the breakwater and out into the open
sea. The conditions were not too bad, only a one to two foot swell, which made
things easier for me.
I opened the bag with her ashes, and slowly poured them into the sea. I said a
few prayers for her, and watched as the ashes dispersed into the water. I sat
there for a while, reminiscing over the 30 years we spent together, and slowly
paddled back to the landing.
After changing into dry clothes, I went upstairs to the restaurant we always ate at
when we came here. I felt a small pang of remembrance and guilt, as this was
the first time in a while that I had no one to help up the stairs

I could be wrong but I think you might have to contact a source to leave your body for science. They would be notified on your death to come claim the body. Kind of like a will, certain protocols must be followed.

I wanted to donate my husbands body, he suffered a rare cancer event. I was told by the research facility that arrangements had to made prior to death.

His Aunt donated her body, she made the arrangements prior to her death. Once they had used the body for study, they took care of cremation and returned ashes to the family.

Cremation for sure. I have given the kids two choices, either dump the ashes in the campfire ring we have here and have a final get together at the "cabin", or take them somewhere in the mountains I love and dump them there.

Back