Football Season

I watched a lot of football during the years John Madden was announcing and learned a LOT about the game. He often explained exactly what was going on and why. Several years ago I started a NFL Fantasy team and had a ball!! Took two years off to move & settle, now husband and I are both have fantasy teams which means NFL football is on TV all day Sunday. It just seems like an autumn thing to do - have football on in the background while we do other things. We are diehard Redskins fans (which would do better with a new owner) but root for the PATS as well. I don't always need a team to root for - I love to watch a WELL PLAYED game and yes, good ones make it look easy! My favorite is whey they use a "trick" play and take everyone by surprise - so fun!!

Can't believe all the injuries this year!! I thought they were trying to make the game "safer" but so many guys are seriously hurt! Am waiting to see if the Super Bowl will be a Bill Belichick Patriot's Invitational again this year.

Lethe300 and post 58:
Didn't you post a ditty about Mahomes appearing to play effortlessly? Yea, he does, thrown the football like he's throwing a
baseball-right on target. I wonder if he will displace Brady as 'best ever.'

Post # 58,Disgruntled players like Antonio Brown
Dallas Cowboys two greatest naturally talented players were:
Duane Thomas 1970-72: The Sphink, best running back I've ever seen, like Mahomes, he did his job effortlessly.
His emotional problems lead to clash with coach and general manager. 'Trade him."
Goggled him: He had a legitimate problem regarding his contract, with his bills he would have peanuts left-Cowboy's coach and
general manager would not budge

Hollywood Henderson: linebacker, could have been best Cowboy linebacker ever but had, substance abuse issues, ruined his career.

Lethe300: As you pointed out, How? Why? do these guys appear determined to screw up their lives?

Coming up next Sunday ..... first time these two will face off against each other.

940x0.jpg

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/sp...on-vs-Mahomes-will-be-a-sight-to-14498312.php

Yes, that Colts win was unexpected, for sure. They are a real up-and-down team, I guess no one can be sure which one will show up on any given gameday. Good Colts? Bad Colts? LOL!

Niners had the bonus of a very easy first 4 games for 2019. Garoppolo was definitely rusty the first couple of games but is doing better. He's a real improvement on CJ Beathard, 2nd stringer - nobody can quite understand why coach Shanahan is so determined to hang on to CJB. He's barely average in quality. Nick Mullens, 3rd stringer, is 2x the QB Beathard is - probably good enough to start for at least 8-10 NFL teams right now. Talk is one of them is trade bait for later this season, but if they keep Beathard and trade Mullens, a lot of fans like me will be very unhappy with Shanahan.

Niners D under Robert Saleh has been textbook perfect. If Nick Bosa can keep from getting hurt, it makes that defensive Front Four a terror for QBs. Richard Sherman has proven a terrific pick up from the Seahawks.

But the next Niners game is a biggie against the Rams, who lost a heartbreaker in Safeco Field vs Seahawks. RB Todd Gurley is rumored to have an arthritic left knee which upsets their offense scheme and leaves QB Goff vulnerable. He is like Derek Carr/Raiders; flush him from the pocket or harass him up front, and he doesn't do so well.

Sun 10/13 game Niners vs Rams will be the big test of how good SF has gotten.....or not. Niners have a moderately hard schedule, with only 4 games that are odds-on to win. They've got Seattle twice, the Rams an additional game, the Saints AND the Packers. Rams haven't looked particularly good this year, but they face an easier schedule than the Niners.

Who's picking the Giants over the Patriots, in tomorrow's matchup? :ROFLMAO:

Oh, c'mon, there's no sure thing till the game is played and done! :)
That's "why they PLAY the games ;)

(The Pats have a slew of injuries, but so do all of the opponents, at this point.)

The Pats are being carried by their defense. Brady is all but stationary and when not given the protection just has to fold. I don't fault him - -running has never been his forte but now, at his age, teams are just squeezing the pocket quickly as injuries have depleted the offensive line. They miss Gronk and Edelman has been slowed by an injury but he still tries to give his usual 110%. They should top the Giants but one never knows.

The Pats are being carried by their defense. Brady is all but stationary and when not given the protection just has to fold. I don't fault him - -running has never been his forte but now, at his age, teams are just squeezing the pocket quickly as injuries have depleted the offensive line. They miss Gronk and Edelman has been slowed by an injury but he still tries to give his usual 110%. They should top the Giants but one never knows.

They really must miss Gronk! .. What is he up to these days? ... I always enjoyed his zany humorous ways. That guy enjoys life!

Gronk is going to be a reporter/sports commentator, for the very first time, at tonight's game, :oops:
which should be a funny show in itself. :D

It is on national tv, Fox or NFL.

Btw, the weather is forecast to be horrid rain and wind, at game time/location, so that might be a very messy game!

Gronk is going to be a reporter/sports commentator, for the very first time, at tonight's game, :oops:
which should be a funny show in itself. :D

It is on national tv, Fox or NFL.

Btw, the weather is forecast to be horrid rain and wind, at game time/location, so that might be a very messy game!

Thanks Kaila! I must check that out. 😀

Pats rolled over the Giants, 35 - 14. Again it was their defense that did the trick. The "Brady Bunch" aren't really clicking on all cylinders. Without the Brady-Edelman connection the passing game is floundering and the offensive run and pass blocking is erratic.

I don't see them going all the way this year. They'll have a good season but their on again-off again offense will catch up with them when they face a really good team.

Texas vs Oklahoma is TV right now. I've never known what a "Happening," was: but this is a Happening.
My definition is the event itself outweighs the football game. I don't grasp that either,
If Texas has a losing season, but beats Oklahoma the coach's job is secure for another year.

Strange things these rivals that become 'Happenings.' such as Ohio State vs. Michigan, the Iron bowl, each region of this nation has one.

An annual pilgrimage, resulting in great satisfaction, or 'wait until next year. Don't understand how they became a 'Happening,' but they are enjoyable.

@Lethe200 and @DaveA

I enjoyed both of your comments, and thoughts on the games, and those posts make it a bit more interesting for me, to have something to follow,
so feel free to add more of your general insights.

No Patriots or Bills games this weekend, and Miami not making their team interesting to watch recently,
so what is of interest today? Cinn sure must be disappointing for their fans, too.

I wonder if KC and Houston will both put up so much offense and high points, or if either team has an effective enough defense to lower the other's so far usual score?

Seattle always does well, with Wilson at QB, they always have a chance, even to come from behind, but they dont show many of their games on tv, on the East coast.

Will Sam Darnold, Jets young QB, just recovering from illness, imrove their day significantly or not?

Any thoughts or gentle input?
I don't get into the heavy stuff about this sport. I try to have it be an interesting distraction, which i need as many as i can find that are amusing or entertaining.

Oh, the athletics are sometimes good to see, as well. Such as some of those amazing catches, made one handed.
And other unexpected plays, including that endzone touchdown dive thru air, last thursday, by defensive big guy, Van Noy. I didnt know he had the skill and agility, for that run and dive, and it reminds me that ALL of the professional athletes we see, are truly far more elite than some of them look, in comparison to each other.

The Pats just keep coming, they refuse to fad away. They have a coach that always 'finds someone that can do the job.
Brady and Belichick ,or Belichick and Brady-they made each other. I think when Brady retires, Belichick will follow immediately-

Lethe200 :
Can't see Niners doing a lot, not with Rams and Seahawks in same division.

I was rabid Cowboy fane, I guess age diminished my interest, still a fan. They have the core players to be a dominate team, but just
don't seem to get offense and defense together, defensive line is good, linebackers are good, secondary has holes.
I don't demand they go to Super Bowl or even win their division, just be interesting.

I am casual fan of Bills, poor guys, four consecutive Super Bowls , that's consecutive, no other team has ever done that. I would like to see them
win the big one; same for the Vikings

Saints-poor guys field a great team for the last few years. I know who the qb is, that's about it. They labor in obscurity year after year.

Who stated KC's qb appeared to do things effortlessly-Yes he does,, throws football like we would throw a baseball.

We forget that some teams climb the pinnacle, then fade into anonymity. Those that return have a good front office, those unknown
guys whom we have no interest in-their responsible for the rise and fall of your team.,
Cowboys front office on one man, Jerry Jones-the man that never saw a tv camera he didn't like. He requires a lot of getting use to, a whole lot.

Last edited:
The poor Cowboys took it on the chin again today. This time from the hapless New York Jets who hadn't previously won a game this season. Close at the finish 24-22 but the Jets had a 21-6 lead at one point. Drops the Cowboys to 3 and 3 while the Jets climb to 1 and 4.

'Boys stumble, flop around like fish out of water, they really piss fans off.
A many year topic is what does the coach do-Jason Garrett stands on sidelines apparently uninvolved. The O and D coaches run the game. He has always done what Jerry Jones request. I suppose you can say he knows how to hang on to a high dollar job.

Maybe, maybe that I need to evaluate 49's but man that is a tough division.,
What's with the Ram's yellow uniforms, are they attempting to dress like some of their fan base?
The Steeler's when they wear their old 50's uniform-ugliest uniform in NFL

Settle's Russell is scary, his reminds me of Aaron Rogers who is a 'boy's killer.
Your 5-0, isn't Seattle 5-0 also. I'll send you a dime if 49's beat Seahawks.

It is hard to root for 49's, if I have to endure one more clip of 'The Catch.' I'm going to throw a rock through TV.
I'm going to pull up 49's schedule so I can be more informed.

the Jets climb

:LOL: Oh yes, that's an upward climb, but it IS a climb up!:)

It is hard to root for 49's, if I have to endure one more clip of 'The Catch.' I'm going to throw a rock through TV.
:LOL: I often feel this way about tv in general, and the sports channels, when they show us the same thing, over and over and over, again.

Maybe, maybe that I need to evaluate 49's but man that is a tough division.,

Maybe all 3 teams will make the postseason, with one winning the division and the other 2 taking the wild cards?
It seems to me that would be very unusual for any division, but i haven't followed it as much as it sounds like i have, so perhaps it is common. ;)
I know it is not common for Dallas's division. :D

Pittsburgh surprised me with their win, and Jets surprised me with theirs. Seattle never surprises me with their comebacks. Even though i am an East coast gal. :)

It's "over-reaction Monday" .... :ROFLMAO:
Who should get fired or traded, or toss in the towel?
Is KC being replaced by Houston? :LOL:

DaveA- 49's schedule, next three games should be 'gimmie' games.-meaning 49's should win all three; however, all teams (Like Dallas) seem to
flop, around, stumble, looking for a way to lose these 'gimmie' games.
Players say, 'Yea, we don't anything for granted,' seems to me, they take a win for granted and just do not perform as they should.

Bonnie:
Houston has always been a mystery to me: they have the 'horses,' but flip-flop, fall down, and piss off a victory. Worse they have a history
of fielding a good team but, 'things happen.' and they fad away..
I don't know, does Houston have to be satisfied with having had Earl Campbell!' That guy was a beast -a real pleasure to watch him bang heads with opponents.
Remember when Steelers spanked their hinny and sent them home crying (Steelers did the same thing to Cowboys in Super Bowl)
Bum Phillip's 'Were going to kick the door down,' was certainly entertaining. That's history-fans do not want history, they want 'NOW."

It is surprising how well the Steelers could suddenly play that game, without their 3 previous "best" players, (long-time starter QB, also RB Bell, and you-know-who, the receiver they gave up on, who is so over-discussed that I myself, prefer NOT to discuss!)

Also amazed me how they could play this game so well, with the 3rd string QB, and all while depending extremely heavily, on one single player, the RB Conner?

It seems that if ANY team leans as heavy on one player, then the opponents all know that, and it doesn't work out well, if a team doesn't have more options.
Why did they succeed, when nearly every play, the ball went to the same predictable player? :oops: :unsure:

Last edited:
Bonnie:
Houston has always been a mystery to me: they have the 'horses,' but flip-flop, fall down, and piss off a victory. Worse they have a history
of fielding a good team but, 'things happen.' and they fad away..
I don't know, does Houston have to be satisfied with having had Earl Campbell!' That guy was a beast -a real pleasure to watch him bang heads with opponents.
Remember when Steelers spanked their hinny and sent them home crying (Steelers did the same thing to Cowboys in Super Bowl)
Bum Phillip's 'Were going to kick the door down,' was certainly entertaining. That's history-fans do not want history, they want 'NOW."

A couple things @jerry r. garner ......

First of all, ask the rabid fans in Houston, and you'll be told that the biggest issues with the team overall are ownership and management.
Bob McNair (Texans owner) never had the "football smarts" that Bud Adams (Oilers) had for assembling a team. Between management and coaching staff, it has always been a 'work in progress' and never reaching satisfaction after 18 years.
Bill O'Brien (current head coach) is not a fan favorite to say the least ..🤣
Too many players with talent had their careers wasted/cut short because of coaching decisions here ... first QB, David Carr for one.

Houston 'lost' the rights to Earl Campbell/Oilers when Bud Adams took the team to Tenn.., and they became the Titans. Now, that is a whole 'nother Story !! ..
Oilers became Titan history, and not Texans.... Bud Adams took that with him to the grave.

So long time fans get to live with that horrible situation on top of everything else. ... and that is where we are today.

Yea, Houston has appeared confused for some time, Bud Adams crapped on the city, as did theowners of Browns, Colts...
Fans have no impute on financial decisions.
The ultimatum: 'Build me a new stadium, or I will move."' does not sit well with those that pay for the stadiums-us! but they find cities that are willing to give them the land, tax free for10-20 years. There again, who is responsible?

It is a pleasure to talk to knowledgeable people that know their ball: Dave A, Bonnie, Kalia and others. I lost interest with the 'boys, tired of
their 'almost efforts'...Dallas is overrated. We have two receivers that can catch a ball, one of this is 36 or 38 years old and give out.

I hate to date myself, Jerry, or change the subject to baseball for a moment, but I've never forgiven the Braves fro leaving Boston in 1953, first for Milwaukee, and then to Atlanta in the 60's.

But your comment says it all. The owners play one city against another in their search for a free, state of the art, stadium.

Back