The Police Knee On The Neck Is Allowed!!

This is a relief. I guess I was viewing fake news. It’s good to know that this isn’t their standard police procedure because that in tself seemed excessively harsh and barbaric. It made me wonder how rough Minnesota would have to be to warrant such a procedure. What a relief.

Nope, it's not fake news. It's in the City of Minneapolis police policies and procedures manual.

Here's the part about use of neck restraints/compressions in the City of Minneapolis police policy and procedures manual. This is from Section 5-300 Use of Force. Note that it allows "compressing one or both sides of a person's neck with an arm or leg ...."

5-311 USE OF NECK RESTRAINTS AND CHOKE HOLDS (10/16/02) (08/17/07) (10/01/10) (04/16/12)

DEFINITIONS I.

Choke Hold:
Deadly force option. Defined as applying direct pressure on a person’s trachea or airway (front of the neck), blocking or obstructing the airway (04/16/12)

Neck Restraint: Non-deadly force option. Defined as compressing one or both sides of a person’s neck with an arm or leg, without applying direct pressure to the trachea or airway (front of the neck). Only sworn employees who have received training from the MPD Training Unit are authorized to use neck restraints. The MPD authorizes two types of neck restraints: Conscious Neck Restraint and Unconscious Neck Restraint. (04/16/12)

Conscious Neck Restraint: The subject is placed in a neck restraint with intent to control, and not to render the subject unconscious, by only applying light to moderate pressure. (04/16/12)

Unconscious Neck Restraint: The subject is placed in a neck restraint with the intention of rendering the person unconscious by applying adequate pressure. (04/16/12)

PROCEDURES/REGULATIONS II.
  1. The Conscious Neck Restraint may be used against a subject who is actively resisting. (04/16/12)
  2. The Unconscious Neck Restraint shall only be applied in the following circumstances: (04/16/12)
    1. On a subject who is exhibiting active aggression, or;
    2. For life saving purposes, or;
    3. On a subject who is exhibiting active resistance in order to gain control of the subject; and if lesser attempts at control have been or would likely be ineffective.
  3. Neck restraints shall not be used against subjects who are passively resisting as defined by policy. (04/16/12)
  4. After Care Guidelines (04/16/12)
    1. After a neck restraint or choke hold has been used on a subject, sworn MPD employees shall keep them under close observation until they are released to medical or other law enforcement personnel.
    2. An officer who has used a neck restraint or choke hold shall inform individuals accepting custody of the subject, that the technique was used on the subject.
After reading this it’s fairly clear that the police officer wasn’t using the procedure accordingly.
Floyd wasn’t resisting arrest nor was he being aggressive. I’ve seen plenty of videos showing he was completely cooperative.

Floyd pleaded for his life 15 times stating he couldn’t breathe. Fifteen times!☹️

From the manual

Only sworn employees who have received training from the MPD Training Unit are authorized to use neck restraints.

Non-deadly force option. Defined as compressing one or both sides of a person’s neck with an arm or leg, without applying direct pressure to the trachea or airway (front of the neck).

The video shows the police officer on the side of the neck.

Was the police officer trained & was his intent this?

Unconscious Neck Restraint: The subject is placed in a neck restraint with the intention of rendering the person unconscious by applying adequate pressure. (04/16/12)

I wonder what the legal system will do if the officer was trained when the manual is used for defense of the officers action.

Why on earth do white folks think they are better than black folks....don't get up in arms about my choice of words either
I am descended from one of the last full blood South Australian Aboriginal women born near a Government waterhole
I look just like her but my skin is not dark....I am what is known as a White Aboriginal and I am proud to be an Indigenous Aussie

Why on earth do white folks think they are better than black folks....don't get up in arms about my choice of words either
I am descended from one of the last full blood South Australian Aboriginal women born near a Government waterhole
I look just like her but my skin is not dark....I am what is known as a White Aboriginal and I am proud to be an Indigenous Aussie
You’re a white person asking this question?
So you must have an answer to this.
Why do you think you’re better than black people?

I’ve got black relatives and 4 bi-racial nieces & nephews whom I adore. Not all white people are racist. No you didn’t choose that word but that’s the word you meant. Some people actually believe in equality where their is no racial preference

Last edited:
Here's the part about use of neck restraints/compressions in the City of Minneapolis police policy and procedures manual. This is from Section 5-300 Use of Force. Note that it allows "compressing one or both sides of a person's neck with an arm or leg ...."

5-311 USE OF NECK RESTRAINTS AND CHOKE HOLDS (10/16/02) (08/17/07) (10/01/10) (04/16/12)

DEFINITIONS I.

Choke Hold:
Deadly force option. Defined as applying direct pressure on a person’s trachea or airway (front of the neck), blocking or obstructing the airway (04/16/12)

Neck Restraint: Non-deadly force option. Defined as compressing one or both sides of a person’s neck with an arm or leg, without applying direct pressure to the trachea or airway (front of the neck). Only sworn employees who have received training from the MPD Training Unit are authorized to use neck restraints. The MPD authorizes two types of neck restraints: Conscious Neck Restraint and Unconscious Neck Restraint. (04/16/12)

Conscious Neck Restraint: The subject is placed in a neck restraint with intent to control, and not to render the subject unconscious, by only applying light to moderate pressure. (04/16/12)

PROCEDURES/REGULATIONS II.
  1. The Conscious Neck Restraint may be used against a subject who is actively resisting. (04/16/12)
  2. The Unconscious Neck Restraint shall only be applied in the following circumstances: (04/16/12)
    1. On a subject who is exhibiting active aggression, or;
    2. For life saving purposes, or;
    3. On a subject who is exhibiting active resistance in order to gain control of the subject; and if lesser attempts at control have been or would likely be ineffective.
  3. Neck restraints shall not be used against subjects who are passively resisting as defined by policy. (04/16/12)
  4. After Care Guidelines (04/16/12)
    1. After a neck restraint or choke hold has been used on a subject, sworn MPD employees shall keep them under close observation until they are released to medical or other law enforcement personnel.
    2. An officer who has used a neck restraint or choke hold shall inform individuals accepting custody of the subject, that the technique was used on the subject.

Yeah but lets not let facts get in the way .......... lets burn the town down anyway.......<sarc>

Yeah but lets not let facts get in the way .......... lets burn the town down anyway.......<sarc>
Yup, because money doesn’t matter, the virus doesn’t matter, all that matter is scoring a free TV and then burning the store to roast marshmallows

You have so much pent-up anger inside, so very sad.
Not necessarily.
I can't speak for Aneeda, as I don't know her and have only seen a few of her posts, but it's perfectly logical to have 'negative viewpoints' toward comments that hit us personally.
And no one can use the excuse that people are heated-up because of what happened in MN, because there've been comments of that nature before that occurred.

Not necessarily.
I can't speak for Aneeda, as I don't know her and have only seen a few of her posts, but it's perfectly logical to have 'negative viewpoints' toward comments that hit us personally.
And no one can use the excuse that people are heated-up because of what happened in MN, because there've been comments of that nature before that occurred.
@JaniceM, I can’t speak for me either as to what Aunt Marg is saying cause I have her on ignore. 😱😳🤣

This whole "ignore" thing seems a lot like the little kid response to something they don't want to hear, when they close their eyes and stick their fingers in their ears, loudly singing, "La la la, I don't hear you!"

Why use "ignore" when you don't like what someone is saying? Should we only be conversing with people who completely agree with us? How interesting would that be?

Personally, I don't shut my eyes when I don't like what someone is saying. If it bothers me enough, I answer them. If I don't feel like answering them, I just skip over their note.

Sorry, I know this is off topic. But naming people that one is ignoring is also off topic. And truthfully, isn't it really a bit childiish?

This whole "ignore" thing seems a lot like the little kid response to something they don't want to hear, when they close their eyes and stick their fingers in their ears, loudly singing, "La la la, I don't hear you!"

Why use "ignore" when you don't like what someone is saying? Should we only be conversing with people who completely agree with us? How interesting would that be?

Personally, I don't shut my eyes when I don't like what someone is saying. If it bothers me enough, I answer them. If I don't feel like answering them, I just skip over their note.

Sorry, I know this is off topic. But naming people that one is ignoring is also off topic. And truthfully, isn't it really a bit childiish?
Very well said, Sunny. :love:

It certainly is childish. Much like a 5-year-old saying, "I'm running away after dinner & I'm never ever coming back."

According to department guidelines depending on whether or not the police officer was trained this could get uglier. If trained then unlawful arrest, reinstatement of job & any lost wages could be what the defense lawyer would seek. Then the protesting & looting will probably start again. The cost for this has probably reached the billion dollar mark +.

It certainly is childish. Much like a 5-year-old saying, "I'm running away after dinner & I'm never ever coming back."
Yup, if this relates to me (cause I have sunny on ignore as well and cannot read her post.) If it doesn’t relate to me, then @win231, I apologize for the assumption. As I enjoy your posts, and appreciate but disagree with your point of view sometimes. Sometimes I agree.

Yup, As in maybe I am in my second childhood. But I love food, I would never run away after dinner, I’d miss dessert. 😂

Whether neck restraint is "Proper Police Procedure" or not isn't really the issue.
Use of a night stick is proper police procedure when warranted. That doesn't mean 150 blows on a handcuffed suspect is OK.
Anyone, including Mr. Dirtbag police officer knows that 9 minutes of neck restraint causes death.

According to department guidelines depending on whether or not the police officer was trained this could get uglier. If trained then unlawful arrest, reinstatement of job & any lost wages could be what the defense lawyer would seek. Then the protesting & looting will probably start again. The cost for this has probably reached the billion dollar mark +.
I didn’t realize that the looting had stopped. Oh, did you mean to say when it stops it will start again?

I didn’t realize that the looting had stopped. Oh, did you mean to say when it stops it will start again?
Probably poorly worded. Looting continues but once the protesting taking place now runs it's course and what takes place when the police officer goes to trial, has received training if the defense is successful in using the department guidelines as a defense & the officer is found not guilty of charges based on his training & department guidelines. I anticipate a recurrence of what is taking place now.

For me it's impossible to believe the man was resisting when already handcuffed. But lawyers will try their best to defend their client.

Last edited:
Why on earth would you make such a racist comment about white people and then add ‘don’t get up in arms about my choice of words?’

How does one read something so hateful and not get offended? Not ALL white people are racist and not all blacks people are racist.

What you’ve just done is stereotyped ALL white people into arrogant bigots!

Gee! Why would we be offended?
It’s pretty sad when youve got a site full of people yet we have to divide ourselves like such. I hadn’t noticed this before. It’s incredibly sad. I’m out.

Last edited:
Who on earth would you make such a racist comment about white people and then add ‘don’t get up in arms about my choice of words?’

How does one read something so hateful and not get offended? Not ALL white people are racist and not all blacks people are racist.

What you’ve just done is stereotyped ALL white people into arrogant bigots!

Gee! Why would we be offended?
It’s pretty sad when youve got a site full of people yet we have to divide ourselves like such. I hadn’t noticed this before. It’s incredibly sad. I’m out.
I hope Permangelder was writing out of frustration. Perhaps she has personally been treated unfairly due to her indigenous roots. That's why I initially agreed with her.

My daughter is bi-racial, and our nephews and nieces partners are of many different races, so I don't agree that all white people are bigots.

Back