Uncle Bill Shakespeare...Alive and Well!

How to Talk Like Shakespeare​

Accents in all languages have changed over the centuries. So what did English sound like in Shakespeare's day? Was it like the "Queen's English" and BBC accent of today? No, it wasn't, according to linguistics expert David Crystal

Shakespeare's Coldest Quotes ......
iu

"Early nightfall can change our moods from sweet to sour, and we've already found ourselves sleepier toward the end of the workday. If you find winter takes a toll on your mood, check out what it did to one of the world's most famous poets: William Shakespeare. The Bard called on winter as a metaphor to convey the disdain, disgust, and hopelessness of a character. The metaphor reappears dozens of times throughout Shakespeare's works. Here are some of the snowiest examples".

1. King Henry VI, Part II; Act 2, Scene 4​

Thus sometimes hath the brightest day a cloud;
And after summer evermore succeeds
Barren winter, with his wrathful nipping cold:
So cares and joys abound, as seasons fleet.

5. As You Like It; Act 2, Scene 3​

The means of weakness and debility;
Therefore my age is as a lusty winter,
Frosty, but kindly.

11. Sonnets; Sonnet 5​

For never-resting time leads summer on
To hideous winter and confounds him there;
Sap cheque'd with frost and lusty leaves quite gone,
Beauty o'ersnow'd and bareness every where.

"The voice of parents is the voice of gods, for to their children they are heaven's lieutenants".
William Shakespeare

iu

Shakespeare Quotes for When Your Relatives Ask What You’re Doing With Your Life

When someone starts to talk about politics:
“What is the matter? Keep the peace here, ho!”
—Henry IV Part 2, Act 2, Scene 1

When your cousins who are the same age as you are actually succeeding at life:
“But how, but how? give me particulars.”
—Antony and Cleopatra, Act 1, Scene 2

When they ask you whatever happened to [insert the name of your ex]:
“She hath betray’d me and shall die the death.”
—Antony and Cleopatra, Act 4, Scene 14

When a ridiculous argument breaks out at the dinner table:
“If this were played upon a stage now, I could condemn it as an improbable fiction.”
—Twelfth Night, Act 3, Scene 4

When someone comments on the fact that you’re going up for third helpings of everything:
“My poor body, madam, requires it.”
—All’s Well That Ends Well, Act 1, Scene 3

When they ask why you’re always playing on your phone:
“I am alone the villain of the earth.”
—Antony and Cleopatra, Act 4, Scene 6

When you’re hanging out in the kitchen taking a break from the chaos and some relatives come in to chat:
“Do you look for ale and cakes here, you rude rascals?”
—Henry VIII, Act 5, Scene 4

When someone asks you why you decided to cut your hair like that:
“Savage!”
—Troilus and Cressida, Act 5, Scene 3

BLUE RIDGE MOUNTAIN HOME' Traditional
This is the first song in the first set, by Uncle Bill at The Lomond on Sunday evening the 28th of November 2010.

"Sonnet 73, one of the most famous of William Shakespeare 's 154 sonnets, focuses on the theme of old age. The sonnet addresses the Fair Youth. Each of the three quatrains contains a metaphor: Autumn, the passing of a day, and the dying out of a fire. Each metaphor proposes a way the young man may see the poet".
maxresdefault.jpg

Vanessa Redgrave's beautiful rendition of Sonnet 73:

Shakespeare and the Nativist or Americanist movement which led to the infamous Astor Place Riots of 1849:

Reaa60f12e17ce593795f7506ad142102

Astor Place Riot - Wikipedia

The wiki blurb summarizes this series of incidents very well. I used to belong to an American history book club and we explored it even further. You may know of the old Bowery Boys, Dead Rabbits, and other street gangsters who ruled the streets of NYC both in the anti bellum and post bellum periods. For some reason Nativist gangs took it upon themselves to declare Shakespeare an American. As such, only American actors were to portray the major characters. When a play director decided to hire a British actor to portray MacBeth, the Nativists declared war on that director and his theater. Big violence took place. A century later when walking along Astor Place, I could almost swear that I felt the energy of those people as I walked the streets of the East Village in Manhattan.

Shakespeare In Love - Bard on the Beach

Based on the screenplay by Marc Norman & Tom Stoppard Adapted for the stage by Lee Hall | Music by Paddy Cunneen
Review

iu

"Shylock is a character in Shakespeare’s The Merchant of Venice".

"There were not many Jews in Elizabethan London but those that were there did not have a comfortable time. They were outcasts and suffered extreme discrimination. Not many ordinary people had ever encountered a Jew and when playwrights put Jewish characters on the stage they presented them as villains. Audiences hissed and booed and threw things at the actors who played them". (Continue)

Back