Uncle Bill Shakespeare...Alive and Well!

iu

09/12/2022
Stability and history as King Charles turns to Shakespeare in first address to Parliament
WV4ALNUY47PO74QVERI3J2MAAE.jpg

The order of events. Getty Images

NYHZFNLAMQZGOSNRYZP2VXL344.jpg

Britain's King Charles III and Queen Consort Camilla sit at Westminster Hall, where both Houses of Parliament are meeting to offer their condolences after the death of Queen Elizabeth II, in London. AP

ZK2X3ATIIDB7SO6LPOSZWS5ZYE.jpg

In tribute to his mother, he said: “As Shakespeare said of the earlier Queen Elizabeth — 'she was a pattern to all princes living'.”

900a4fd420f6360e09cb90a3ec233f20.jpeg

This is portrait of John Shakespeare and Mary Arden, William Shakespeare's parents.

There is no portrait of Mary Arden and John Shakespeare.

What you are showing is a Sutori collaborative instructional and presentation tool for the classroom. It is a web-based tool for creating and sharing interactive timelines and presentations. It was done to show school children what these two historical figures might have looked like.

A rare recording from the musical Catch My Soul (a musical version of Shakespeare's Othello) in which the Killer played Iago.

Lust Of The Blood - Jerry Lee Lewis

Last edited:
Beware the Ides of March. But Why?

"It's unlikely even Shakespeare could have predicted how his famous phrase would have evolved."

"You've probably heard the soothsayer’s warning to Julius Caesar in William Shakespeare's play of the same name: “Beware the Ides of March.” Not only did Shakespeare’s words stick, they branded the phrase—and the date, March 15—with a dark and gloomy connotation. It’s likely that many people who use the phrase today don’t know its true origin. In fact, just about every pop culture reference to the Ides—save for those appearing in actual history-based books, movies or television specials—makes it seem like the day itself is cursed."

"But the Ides of March actually has a non-threatening history. Kalends, Nones and Ides were ancient markers used to reference dates in relation to lunar phases. Ides simply referred to the first new moon of a given month, which usually fell between the 13th and 15th. In fact, the Ides of March once signified the new year, which meant celebrations and rejoicing."

"It's unlikely even Shakespeare could have predicted how his famous phrase would have evolved."

"You've probably heard the soothsayer’s warning to Julius Caesar in William Shakespeare's play of the same name: “Beware the Ides of March.” Not only did Shakespeare’s words stick, they branded the phrase—and the date, March 15—with a dark and gloomy connotation. It’s likely that many people who use the phrase today don’t know its true origin. In fact, just about every pop culture reference to the Ides—save for those appearing in actual history-based books, movies or television specials—makes it seem like the day itself is cursed."

"But the Ides of March actually has a non-threatening history. Kalends, Nones and Ides were ancient markers used to reference dates in relation to lunar phases. Ides simply referred to the first new moon of a given month, which usually fell between the 13th and 15th. In fact, the Ides of March once signified the new year, which meant celebrations and rejoicing."
https://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/the-ides-of-march

I am so glad I read that! This now makes sense! It's a time of the new Spring year with celebrations and rejoicing. It's a renewal, not a time of the year to be feared. All my life I'd heard, "Beware the Ides of March", said with a dire expression of warning.
Thanks for setting me straight!

Back