What do you do for exercise? What motivates you to do it?

Oris,

I'm not sure if the Nordic Track is good for the symptoms you are experiencing or not. I would suggest you go to a Nordic showroom and they will let you try the machine. You might be able to make a determination from that trial demonstration/experience. It will be very awkward when you first start out, But you have to relax and try and make it a natural movement. You will know in only a few minutes if you like the machine or if it likes you.

Hopefully your health is well, best wishes..

Needshave,

I watched an intro video from Nordic Track that has a newbie on the machine, I think it would be fine for what I'm looking for, but I can't actually find anywhere remotely close that actually has the ski machine to try. I have been thinking about how to add an upper body resistance unit to use while on my treadmill, so it's a natural progression from that.

I haven't ridden my real bike in a couple of years, but I wanted to ask you about skunks. While you're out have you every been attacked by one?
I don't know much about their behavior, but I was charged by one once while out on the trace. I saw it maybe 50 feet ahead and as I approached it stood it's ground and ran at me, I pedaled faster sped by it and it didn't follow, so I'm guessing that I was close to its young or territory and it was posturing?

Thanks for asking about my health, I'm doing quite well-- other than being looney as a tune that is....

The taproom crew loves it too

So that's what you were doin' at the taproom last night

Brushersizing

...and Radi was in on it

x1tZbXC.jpg
My Taproom crew always has my back! And my count. Good thing Radi wasn't drinking along last night or I'd still be brushing...

Thor is half arab..very excitable...he belongs to a nearby stables..

He was very badly treated in his previous life..but we seem to have bonded..He rushes off at racehorse speed sometimes..jumping over gates..when we can go no further..I take his saddle and reins off..and he rolls in the grass..

When he has finished..he is perfectly calm..

He is 16 hands..

Keep on riding. Its great for your health. 👏

Didn't see any threads on this and am wondering what everyone does to get/keep fit and healthy?

I go to the gym 3 mornings a week, and at home I do dumbbells, lunges, squats, planks, abs, etc etc. I've done a lot of research and building muscle as well as cardio exercise is very important for good health, bone density, stamina, strong heart and lungs, reducing chances of injury, etc etc. So I'll keep doing this until I simply can't any more. I'm 62 but physically feel like about 40. :)

Wow you impress me. I have been needing to push my program up a bit. I know it will only help. I walk my dogs separately in the morning. In the evening I do a brisk walk around my neighborhood with gentle incline in the road. Which gives me enough to get my heart rate up a bit. Then I do small hand weights and exercise on a machine that helps keep me fit.

Keesha!

Always good to hear from you. Yes three hours a night. I will be 70 next month. I have been doing that routine for many years, even when we travel I have always tried to do some exercise.

Keesha, take care of those joints. Its very important and not something that is reversible. The space between my thumb ball and thumb socket has dramatically reduced in both thumbs. My Upper extremity doctor/surgeon told me that both thumbs joints should be replaced, but because you are so active, you have relatively little pain. Once you stop and allow arthritis and other diseases in, there is no going back. Surgery will then be necessary. I was told to just stay active and forget the thumb joint replacement and surgery. I have done just that. I have a business here that I still manage as well as I have historic buildings that I restore, and I will be mixing concrete tomorrow, so I remain very active.

Good luck with your exercise tomorrow, Let me know how you are doing. I have a half ball balance ball, that I use. I have my feet on it when I do planks, it was very awkward when I first started.

Well, I just got started on the stationary bike. I have a desk built that extends over the bike and I can use the lap top and the bike at the same time, I have Rawhide in cue, so I'm all set. So take care, write when you can.
Thank you. I am often the one encouraging others to exercise but I’m not really doing much lately.

It seems that the pain is coming from a combination of not exercising enough, eating the wrong foods and gaining excess weight, which I have so I am determined to end these bad habits and get back into taking proper care of myself, like I used to. It might appear selfish to some but in reality it’s actually the opposite . After all, once we start losing our health we have to rely on healthcare and others.

My solution is to start journeying again , writing down all the things I’m doing to keep myself healthy & grounded both physically and mentally.

At my age (77) I feel I need to exercise more than ever before. My daily walks are essential, and I really don't have a choice anyway. Living in a apartment with a dog makes walking a part of life these days.

What I do enjoy very much, by choice, is a vibrating platform machine I bought some time back. It conditions/ strengthens your whole body with very little effort. I really look forward to using it everyday. It will never become a clothes rack! ..:)

Keesha...

Good for you! EASE into it and don't jump into it, your body will feel more like repeating if you take it gradually. Talk to others about it, you know the old saying Misery loves company, it helps in the transformation. You are more than welcome to talk to me, I have trouble sleeping so I check this site often. I would say you can PM me, but I'm not sure you can do that on this site. If you or someone knows how to do that, please let me know. Also, whats the deal with the recorded time on this site. it doesn't seem to match any time zone! Take care Keesha, write let us know how you are doing.

Have you ever tried using bricks for bar bells? I finally decided I had to do something for the angel wing arms. I needed to get some of the strength back. I've been threatening to get bar bells for years. Trouble was I didn't know what weight, and I procrastinated, a lot. Finally after the virus hit, I decided to do it. I still didn't know the weight. When I went in to find some, all the sizes I was interested in were out of stock. I wondered what I could use instead. I had a couple of bricks. I put them on the bathroom scales. They weighed about 6.5 lbs each. I decided to try them. By golly they are working. The hangdog muscles are actually stronger and visible now and getting more so. I need to make sure if my husband needs me, I will be able to lift him around. His scoliosis is getting worse. Now, I do other exercises, but only a few minor things for my arms. This is working. And they don't look so awful. Hot Dam!

I am determined to end these bad habits and get back into taking proper care of myself, like I used to. It might appear selfish to some but in reality it’s actually the opposite . After all, once we start losing our health we have to rely on healthcare and others.

My solution is to start journeying again , writing down all the things I’m doing to keep myself healthy & grounded both physically and mentally.

Yes, not selfish at all. 👍 :)

Journaling was / still is a hugely effective activity to keep me on track. I use an app- MyFitnessPal to track what I'm eating, also my exercise. I hit my target weight last year, I still use MyFitnessPal to maintain my weight, making sure of no backsliding.

Any exercise will bring a mood uplift, Yoga and Taichi have special exercises to promote mental well being.

Best of luck to you!

Yes, not selfish at all. 👍 :)

Journaling was / still is a hugely effective activity to keep me on track. I use an app- MyFitnessPal to track what I'm eating, also my exercise. I hit my target weight last year, I still use MyFitnessPal to maintain my weight, making sure of no backsliding.

Any exercise will bring a mood uplift, Yoga and Taichi have special exercises to promote mental well being.

Best of luck to you!
All my past journaling has been done analogue style . I’m not ‘that’ out of shape. Only a month or so ago I was doing 2 to 3 hour walks daily but was using a stroller for our smallest dog who had injured her paw jumping out of my car. The front wheel axil seems shot so I had to start carrying her so the running long walks became regular walks again.

My biggest change is from the lack of doing my yoga and aerobic activities I did daily. After stopping that my joints hurt again so I’ve just come back from an hour walk and will do an hour DVD that incorporates pilates and yoga on a balance ball.

Last edited:
Needshave,

I watched an intro video from Nordic Track that has a newbie on the machine, I think it would be fine for what I'm looking for, but I can't actually find anywhere remotely close that actually has the ski machine to try. I have been thinking about how to add an upper body resistance unit to use while on my treadmill, so it's a natural progression from that.

I haven't ridden my real bike in a couple of years, but I wanted to ask you about skunks. While you're out have you every been attacked by one?
I don't know much about their behavior, but I was charged by one once while out on the trace. I saw it maybe 50 feet ahead and as I approached it stood it's ground and ran at me, I pedaled faster sped by it and it didn't follow, so I'm guessing that I was close to its young or territory and it was posturing?

Thanks for asking about my health, I'm doing quite well-- other than being looney as a tune that is....
Oris,
Thanks for writing. You may want to check Market place in Facebook and Craigs list for the cross country skier. my Nordic Track Cross Country is probably very old school and many have become cloth hangers over the years and I alway see a couple floating around for a little bit of nothing. I might be an option just so you can see if you like it. Most probably were not used very often.
I live in a historical district and there is a Masonic lodge close by. A mommy skunk had a big litter of skunks on the grounds of the Masonic Lodge this year and they have all decided to stay local. Late at night I ride the side walk and it is not uncommon to see one facing me as I head down the sidewalk. At that point its time to take a detour. Just a few days ago I was heading home and Just as I was about to turn in my driveway a skunk wobbled up the sidewalk and turned into my driveway before I. I waited over on the other side for 1 hour before he decided to leave and let me put the bike in the carriage house!

Oris,
Thanks for writing. You may want to check Market place in Facebook and Craigs list for the cross country skier. my Nordic Track Cross Country is probably very old school and many have become cloth hangers over the years and I alway see a couple floating around for a little bit of nothing. I might be an option just so you can see if you like it. Most probably were not used very often.

People say that about treadmills too but I live in a small rural town and when I was looking for a treadmill, I simply couldn't find one that was worth the drive to look at it. A quick check of Craig's list did show some though, and there is a really nice one, I'm sure it made a lovely clothes rack--just not sure I want to do the 3 hour trip to go look at it.

I'm really just at the pondering stage if I want another piece of equipment as I have very limited room. The only reason I mentioned a dealer is that I could also compare the machine with a rowing machine--which I have never used, or perhaps something else.

Social Ballroom dancing which we feel not only helps to keeps the body fit it's also good for our brains as the new vogue ballroom we dance is sets of steps for each dance. We try to dance at least twice a week for about three hours each time
We attended a birthday party last weekend for a lady who just turned 90 and still dancing her hubby is 93 they know more dances than us and don't sit out many dances
I tried to interest my wife in Ballroom dancing, she would have no part of it.

Tried Tai Chi but could not remember the moves. I swim laps at the YMCA occasionally, plan to exercise in the weight, cardio, and aerobics room sometime this week.
My exercise habits seem to be like New Years resolution. I don't have much commitment to follow through. Maybe with my goal being to gain strength for scuba diving I will and maintain my purpose.

I cannot lift heavy weights because of metastasis in the spinal column. I perform these exercises 4-6 times/ week. They work well for me to develop muscles, strength and flexibility.

Six self-resistance (SR) exercises with a stick for arms and upper body muscles

1. Biceps pushing. Take a stick by two hands and hold it close to the chest. Push the stick to left side, tensing only right biceps and resisting by the left biceps. Keeping SR, move through the full ROM to left. Then push the stick to right side, tensing only left biceps and resisting by the right one. Keeping SR, move through the full ROM to right. Repeat pushing to right-left sides with ~constant SR until feeling the light pain in the both biceps. It is one set. Rest is 15-30 sec with 1 or 2 deep breathes.

2 Triceps pulling. Take a stick by two hands and hold it close to the chest. Pull the stick to left side, tensing only left triceps and resisting by the right one. Move through the full ROM to left. Then pull the stick to right side, tensing only right triceps and resisting by the left one. Again move through the full ROM to right. Repeat pulling to right-left sides until feeling the light pain in the both triceps. It is one set. Rest is 15-30 sec with 1 or 2 deep breathes.

3. Deltoid muscle pulling. Take a stick by two hands and hold it close to your hips (forward). Pull the stick to left, tensing only left deltoid muscle and resisting by the right deltoid muscle. Keeping SR, elevate your left hand above your head (full ROM). Then pull the stick to right side, tensing only right deltoid muscle and resisting by the left one. Keeping SR, elevate your right hand above your head (full ROM). Repeat pulling to right-left sides until feeling the light pain in both deltoid muscles. It is one set. Rest is 15-30 sec with 1 or 2 deep breathes. You can also use forward and backward circular movements with SR to develop different deltoid muscle fibers.

4. Latissimus dorsi muscles pulling. Take a stick by two hands and raise it above your head. Pull the stick to left, tensing only left latissimus dorsi and resisting by only right latissimus dorsi. Keeping SR, move through the full ROM to left. Then pull the stick to right side, tensing only right latissimus dorsi and resisting by the left one. Again, move through the full ROM. Repeat pulling to right-left sides until feeling the light pain in both latissimus dorsi muscles. It is one set. Rest is 15-30 sec, 1 or 2 deep breathes. You can also use circular movements with SR to develop more latissimus dorsi muscle fibers.

5. Pectoralis muscles pushing. Take a stick by two hands and straighten both arms at the chest level. Push the stick to left side, tensing only right pectoralis and resisting by the left pectoralis (use the full ROM). Then push the stick to right side, tensing only left pectoralis and resisting by the right one (use the full ROM). Repeat pushing to right-left sides with constant SR until feeling the light pain in both pectoralis. It is one set. Rest is 15-30 sec, 1 or 2 deep breathes. You can also use circular movements with SR to develop different pectoralis muscle fibers.

6. Trapezius muscle pulling. Take a stick by two hands and straighten both arms at the chest level. Pull the stick to left side, tensing only left trapezius and resisting by right trapezius. Move through the full ROM to left. Then pull the stick to right side, tensing only right trapezius and resisting by the left trapezius. Move through the full ROM to right. Repeat pulling to right-left sides until feeling the light pain in both trapezius muscles. It is one set. Rest is 15-30 sec, 1 or 2 deep breathes.

Notes: You can do them as morning exercises daily without overtraining. This principle of the opposite self-resistance you can apply to any movements with sticks, which you can find on the internet sites. Try to keep tension in working muscles >60% of max. Perform 2-6 sets for each exercise. The number of reps is not important. The important criterion of sufficient loading is burning or light pain in working muscles. These exercises may be performed as a circuit.

Last edited:
I’m struggling with finding avenues to work out this year. I used to go to the gym 3-5 times a week but gyms are closed where I live. I love walking around the city, exploring but I was diagnosed with Crohns years ago and just can’t chance a long walk anymore.

I have a recumbent bike and a weight bench with barbells but I just can’t get motivated to use either. I miss the social aspect of the gym, even if I didn’t talk to many people it felt like I was interacting with others which I like.

I know when the gym is open again I will go regularly, but until then it sucks.

I’m struggling with finding avenues to work out this year. I used to go to the gym 3-5 times a week but gyms are closed where I live. I love walking around the city, exploring but I was diagnosed with Crohns years ago and just can’t chance a long walk anymore.

I have a recumbent bike and a weight bench with barbells but I just can’t get motivated to use either. I miss the social aspect of the gym, even if I didn’t talk to many people it felt like I was interacting with others which I like.

I know when the gym is open again I will go regularly, but until then it sucks.
That is my situation as well except that I am dealing with the effects of my prostrate cancer treatment which zaps my energy. In many ways I am fortunate that the COVID crisis and my cancer treatment are both occurring at the same time. I will head back to the YMCA as soon as we get beyond all this.

In the meantime I am walking, using my recumbent bike when the weather is disagreeable, and using my cable weight system. Motivation is a bit hard as I also miss the social aspects of a regular gym, especially since I am retired and don't have a workplace to go to. But regular exercise is key to our long term health, so hang in there.

Does using your bike help with Crohns?

I miss the social aspect of the gym, even if I didn’t talk to many people it felt like I was interacting with others which I like.
Me too. In spite of that, I gave up my membership of over 10 years. Even pre-Covid members weren’t cleaning equipment unless someone could see them. They forgot that from the second floor you have a good view. A couple of other health issues were part of the decision.

Now we have ice over roads, paths & sidewalks. It’s downright dangerous. The arena usually allows walking time. If it weren’t for Covid, I’d be doing that.

Back