What jobs have you been employed at?

My Mom told me when I was 16 years old I have to go to work part time...I was still in school, geez!!! So she goes to the A & P market and asked
the man in charge if they take 16 year old kids to work...Of course he said yes....So My Mom takes me to the store and they put me in the Meat
department ?? They gave me a white cotton cover up....I lasted a week....I couldn't handle the raw meat....I still can't handle raw meat....
Mom stopped making me have a job....When I graduated High School my Teacher contacted a company that needed typists...I had 3 years
of Typing… in High School....(Mom couldn't send me to college) even though I was a good student...I loved my job....I
.Anyway, I still had the job when I was Married....

Other Jobs...
when my kiddies went to school...
Woolworth (cashier) Part Time
Clothing Store (for 1 year)
Secretary for a truck company
My last job in a School...I was a Secretary in the Main Office....My 2 children were in school at the time....
I worked in the school for 25 years....Retired when my husband retired....

How was your finger cymbal work on Kashlima? When I played doumbek for dancers in Austin, I found the hesitation beats of Kashlima to be what separated the pros from the amateurs.
I thought that would be your response. No matter if I had replied at length,
(Crickets chirping......) As I suspected.
I thought that would be your response, had I seen your original post before today, I might have responded, but this post confirms that it would have elicited a negative reply. I wish you peace, and relief from the anger which you carry.

Periodically for some reason, you seem to feel a need to post negative, unpleasant comments re myself. Awhile ago, when you thought I was still on sabbatical from sf, you

cast doubt on my professional qualifications and snarked about my supposed treatment of you. A member informed you I had posted earlier that day. I let your remarks slide. Now, knowing full

well I am in mourning over the recent death of Sifuphil, you are being negative again. What possesses a person to verbally slap a grieving human being? Welcome to ignore.

I thought that would be your response. No matter if I had replied at length,

I thought that would be your response, had I seen your original post before today, I might have responded, but this post confirms that it would have elicited a negative reply. I wish you peace, and relief from the anger which you carry.
I asked an honest question. I played for belly dancers for quite some time. I was genuinely interested in your answer.

I am not aware of the other posts you referenced. Snark? Perhaps you've confused me with someone else.

We will now be on each other's ignore list. Best of luck to you, in the future.

Aye, Matey. When I was a little guy, I use to wonder what a life being a pirate would be like. I did everything else, but somehow missed the pirate thing.
To quote our friend Jimmy Buffett:
"Yes I am a pirate, born 400 years to late,
The cannons don't thunder, there's nothing to plunder,
I'm an over 40 victim of fate, arriving too late, arriving too late"

Hmmm, I am a little late to the subject with my last post. I'll have to remember to start these threads at the end and work backwards if I expect to be in touch.
I'll get trained, … eventually at least.

I've always been self-employed except for a little secretarial and telephone operator work while we were trying to get our business off the ground.

Way back in my high school days I worked as a cashier at a local grocery store. Then I went off to college and medical school and the rest was history. My work history once all that was complete was being employed as a Pediatric Physician until I retired at the age of 69.

parking lot attendant
file clerk
tax accountant
IRS auditor
accounting clerk
maintenance

of all these jobs, believe it or not, maintenance paid the highest wages

Majored in accounting and worked in the field thoughout my adult life. A boring profession but I made a good living and it enabled me to retire fairly young(52). :)
When times get hard, you'll always have food by cooking the books.

you may be pissed right now, betch'a your telling this to your friends

As a kid:
Mowed Yards and did yard work for folks
Hauled Hay back in the days of square bales
Worked on a farm
Picked and Hauled Watermelons
Worked for a guy who had several of us kids soldering up Circuit Boards for electronic things. He paid us in Silver Dollars - ha 🪙🪙
Sold Roses - One of the Coaches took a bunch of us Jr. High boys to Cities and we sold Tyler, Tx Roses in Memphis and Oklahoma City standing on the Corners on the weekends
Threw Newspapers
Worked briefly in a Grocery Store
Worked in Radio Shack as a salesman for my Parents - started paying Taxes and Social Security at age 16.
From age 18:
Once I turned 18 I went to work in the Oilfields - started out Roughnecking Offshore and then on land rigs.
Then went to work for a firm that built Sour Gas and Sulfur Plants and we started them up and Operated them. Then went to work for ExxxonMobil Supervising proiects Offshore and eventually went oversea's for the last 18 years and lived as Married Accompanied expats in Equatorial Guinea and Nigeria managing Offshore Projects. Ended up with 24 years with XOM.
Worked the Oilfields for 43 year before retiring earlier this year.

Met ms gamboolgal when I was 19 and she was barely 17 and that was that for me. We married and she has followed me all over the Gulf Coast and world while being a great Oilfield Wife and Mother to our two children. We will soon hit our 40th anniversary and I'm still chasing her around the ole 4 Poster Buck Neckid.... 🥰
I love her more as time goes by and would be a lost goose without her !

gamboolman.....

Lifes A Dance And You Learn As You Go...

Chronologically (more or less):
  • Hay hauling, picking up bales in the field and putting them on a trailer pulled by a tractor
  • Tree planting on clearcut ground in the National Forest in Wyoming
  • Unloading boxcars, manually
  • Golf course waterboy
  • Tree thinning, chainsaw work, tree cutting
  • Forestry Technician for the Forest Service
  • Engineer - for most of my career
Funny how those early but relatively brief experiences are so clearly remembered.

I picked potatoes in a field and worked the hay fields during high school. After the military I worked as desk clerk typing, filing. I also worked in truck stops changing truck tires, I worked for temp agency recycling glas, cleaning stadium after games, drove vehicles thru auto auction, set up trade shows, built computer components, assembled power cables, hotel/motel house worker, washed dishes/prep cook in restuarants, medical claims payer, picked fruit(apples/berries), worked road construction flag person, recycled cans/bottles for deposit money, picked brush used in floral decorations. spent all one summer bailing hay. Worked as NLETS operator for state DMV. Keyed in information for vehicle title creation for another DMV. (worked as topless dancer,,,, oops no no just kidding) ha ha ha!

When we moved closer to town, I got an evening job at a rather posh restaurant.
The Hillvilla.
It worked well with my junior year schedule.
Work till 11pm…sleep through class…if I went.

Washing pots and pans.
My first day, I ran a sink full of water, hot and cold.
The owner, Ed Palaske, reminded me of Mr McGoo, kindly, gently turned off the cold water.
Hot water and steam came outta the tap.
‘We don’t use cold water. It’s not so sanitary.’
His forearms looked like lobsters…no hair, red, much like a burn victim.
Lou, the cook, doing a great impression of Ed Asner, just leaned on the counter and grinned.
Damn, I’d never known hot water up till then.
The crab pots and pans, from making crab louie, did loosen up better.

Then I graduated to the salad bar.
Much like a bar tender.
The waitresses would come up, order, and I’d prep, sip a coke and munch on crackers.

This one waitress, guess she was in her late thirties, would tell me dirty jokes and chit chat when ordering.
She had blonde hair, all pulled back, like Kim Novak in Vertigo…..rather buxom….like my dad’s Police gazette gals.
I had fantasies about her while I was sleeping in class.

Sometimes a dignitary would call me over,
‘Hey sport, here’s a buck, get me a pack of Winstons outta the machine….keep the change.’

If a patron didn’t like their meal, one of us would get it.
Damn, it was good.

After my shift, and the upstairs was closing, I’d head downstairs and get another coke from the bar, and if lucky, I’d chat more with Kim Novak, and watch her sit there, undulating.

I think that was my best high school job.
I know it was.

When I was young I did a lot of babysitting. When I got married my husband did not want me to work,so he always worked and often had 2 jobs. Other than volunteering at my kid's school I did work on the phone for a few years for an accounting firm. My job was to get new customers for 5 different accounts.

1. Worked in the mailroom at an insurance company
2. Summer construction job
3. Hod carrier (bricklayer's helper)
4. "Order picker" in a Best's Products store
5. Aluminum foundry worker
5. Waiter in a Mafia-owned steakhouse
6. Waiter at the Williamsburg Inn
7. Selling soft drinks at college football and basketball games
8. Elementary school creative writing teacher
9. New York PR guy (35 years) at various agencies and corporations
10. Self-employed marketing and PR writer (12 years and counting) which is by far the best gig of all

Mother
Housewife
Factory worker
Bartender
Secretary
Receptionist
Certified nursing assistant
Barn worker on a horse farm
Home health aide
Personal care aide
Business Owner
Online seller (Amazon, eBay & my own site)
Blogger
Amazon Affiliate
Condo cleaner (in FL)
Author (2 eCookbooks for Kindle Direct Publishing)

These are not in any order just as I thought of them

Babysitter, worked for 2 fast food restaurants, waitress three times, costumer at a costume company, office manager twice, secretary, accountant, controller (accounting), college professor, lawyer. I also had 3 different companies along the way: Maid/janitorial service, bookkeeping service, and online children's bookstore.

Back