Why is ________ the answer to life's meaning for you?

Do you really believe that this is the correct vehicle to be having a heartfelt panel on the personal effects of Christianity on one? There is a special section of this forum devoted to such a question and there are groups, which one may use, free. So what is it that requires you to address your inner most religious beliefs in this particular secular forum? Not everybody in the world is a Christian, nor is the dynamics of the Christian religion a subject many others are enthralled by. I am an atheist and I am not particularly thrilled to be proselytized. We have had similar discussions about preaching Christianity in this forum. And I have been told by good Christians," tough, you don't like it don't read it". So, please explain why it is so imperative that you preach Christianity in this section of the forum? There are other sections forum one may use for evangelizing, why not use them? What gives you the right to preach Christianity to others, who steadfastly believe in their own faiths. Isn't it disrespect to say in a public forum that if you don't like all the Christianity,-tough, don't read. Don't participate. We are Christians and we don't care what you think.
because its not evangelising. simple as that.

I cannot see for the life of me, why you care, You don't have to read it!
I do not see any proselytizing going on.
Read something else
I don't like sports, so I don't go there.
Geeze!
i think its more a sneaky political tactic to force Christians underground. Demonising those who hold a different world view. am I going to object to an atheist thread? of course not.

Science. Because their discoveries are real, not mumbo jumbo written by superstitious people thousands of years ago.
And yet, this woman who holds a BSc, hard earned in her middle years, came to faith more that 40 years ago and remains committed to the ideals laid out in the four gospels. She still abhors superstition as she has done all of her life. Go figure. What could possibly explain that?

And yet, this woman who holds a BSc, hard earned in her middle years, came to faith more that 40 years ago and remains committed to the ideals laid out in the four gospels. She still abhors superstition as she has done all of her life. Go figure. What could possibly explain that?
is this woman famous? or have I missed something?

At one time that was me too but I was a bit more respectful of people who followed their religion, even if I didn't understand why they did. I just thought they were rather queer or deluded. Now I am one of them.

And for the record, no-one got into my ear and brainwashed me. I avoided evangelists like the plague.

At one time that was me too but I was a bit more respectful of people who followed their religion, even if I didn't understand why they did. I just thought they were rather queer or deluded. Now I am one of them.

And for the record, no-one got into my ear and brainwashed me. I avoided evangelists like the plague.
My post was with regards to respect in all situations. (I didn't have your theme in mind.) I just believe we earn respect by giving it.

I'm sorry, mumbo jumbo was an unfortunate choice of words on my part. I know better . I don't consider a following comment to be a "curve ball" either.

I don't laugh at anyone's faith. Faith is just that.....it can't be proven or disproven. It is a belief that fills a need for the person expressing faith. I was simply filling in the blank and answering why for myself only. I admit there are more than a few scientists who are believers. There are an equal or greater number who are non believers, Carl Sagan comes to mind as an example.
Every religion ever established has claimed to be the one true faith. Their followers had faith that claim was true. They can't all be right.

please continue with your belief in revealed religion. I won't bother you. In turn please allow me to study the latest discoveries in quantum mechanics and astrophysics .when I look at the night sky I am in awe and I want to know more facts about how it came to be. I don't buy that a transient species living on a planet in a minor solar system on the edge of an unremarkable galaxy, one of billions in the universe is the sole focus of why anything exists.

I'm sorry, mumbo jumbo was an unfortunate choice of words on my part. I know better . I don't consider a following comment to be a "curve ball" either.

I don't laugh at anyone's faith. Faith is just that.....it can't be proven or disproven. It is a belief that fills a need for the person expressing faith. I was simply filling in the blank and answering why for myself only. I admit there are more than a few scientists who are believers. There are an equal or greater number who are non believers, Carl Sagan comes to mind as an example.
Every religion ever established has claimed to be the one true faith. Their followers had faith that claim was true. They can't all be right.

please continue with your belief in revealed religion. I won't bother you. In turn please allow me to study the latest discoveries in quantum mechanics and astrophysics .when I look at the night sky I am in awe and I want to know more facts about how it came to be. I don't buy that a transient species living on a planet in a minor solar system on the edge of an unremarkable galaxy, one of billions in the universe is the sole focus of why anything exists.
We are more alike than you realise. You raise big questions that exercise my mind too but my religious faith doesn't hinge on any of them.

At this stage of my life I am more focused on the question reportedly asked of Jesus by a scholar of the Jewish law. He asked "Who is my neighbour?" Jesus answered him by telling the story of the Good Samaritan. I have come to understand that everyone alive is my neighbour and that I have some responsibility for their welfare. I take this teaching very seriously. I am just one person but I do what I can.

I don't believe in a 'God' and therefore Jesus was not the 'son of God'. This does not mean that Jesus the man, is not worthy of consideration. He is reputed to have taught by the use of stories, many aspects of life that are still relevant today, but I don't think that one can rationally take the Bible literally. While I try lo live a "good" life with what some might call "Christian" values, I regard these as Humanist traits.

Like Llynn, I prefer to seek out facts and science is gradually revealing them. The universe is (at best estimate) 13.8 Billion years old. We can't just expect to find out everything in a few days or years.

I like Peachy's suggestion. Just ask, "Why is _____" and let everyone fill in their own blank.

Hypo, you are being desparately "cute" with your suggestion that I start a thread about the Wiccan religion. Surely, you couldn't have misunderstood what I was saying to that extent? But in case that was a sincere suggestion, let me assure you that I am not a witch, there are no witches, none with supernatural powers, anyway, and I was using that lunatic fringe cult as an example to make a point.

If you had worded this thread, "Is Christianity the answer to life's meaning for you?" there probably would have been a much more friendly discussion here. Just the word "Why?" at the beginning changed the entire meaning of the question, and assumed that everyone here is a devout Christian. And that's what got so many people riled up.

Back