Why is ________ the answer to life's meaning for you?

For me it all comes down to this: “I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.”― Mahatma Gandhi
Ghandi said that?? If he liked Christ then he must not have considered Him to be a liar. And if he didn't think he was a liar then he must have believed him when Christ said He's the Son Of God, the Messiah, the Savior of Man's sins. If that's true then Ghandi was a Christian! And he must have believed Christ's reason for suffering on the cross...which was to forgive the sins of man who believed in Jesus...the very men Ghandi doesn't like. Too bad Ghandi didn't understand that Christ loved the sinner but not the sin.

Did Ghandi seriously expect Christians to be perfect? If they were perfect then they wouldn't need a Savior would they? Poor Ghandi was so confused.

Ghandi said that?? If he liked Christ then he must not have considered Him to be a liar. And if he didn't think he was a liar then he must have believed him when Christ said He's the Son Of God, the Messiah, the Savior of Man's sins. If that's true then Ghandi was a Christian! And he must have believed Christ's reason for suffering on the cross...which was to forgive the sins of man who believed in Jesus...the very men Ghandi doesn't like. Too bad Ghandi didn't understand that Christ loved the sinner but not the sin.

Did Ghandi seriously expect Christians to be perfect? If they were perfect then they wouldn't need a Savior would they? Poor Ghandi was so confused.
thats a fair point Lara. Ghandi was a smart guy. Possibly his quote can be taken too literally. My guess is that he came across some extreme Christian zealots or just obvious hypocrite Pharisee types. Which give the Christian brand a bad name.

I know Ghandi was a "smart guy" but that doesn't mean he was all knowing. I was shocked that he didn't know more about the sin nature of ALL mankind....not just Christians. And then to culturally stereotype is not what I would expect from him either.

I'll answer the thread title as it reads.

Why is living the answer to life's meaning for you? I've never gone off the deep end in pondering the meaning of life. In my opinion, living is the answer to life's meaning. I think that people should just live their lives and cherish each moment of the present without regretting the past or fearing what may happen in the future.

I think really living and appreciating everything that this life on earth affords us, the beauty of nature, the mystery of the heavens (sky, stars, etc.), the mystique of the ever-changing clouds, the individuality of each and every ocean wave, the majestic wildlife, our fellow human beings, etc.

I'm blessed to have been born on this earth, and I appreciate my time here. My life has already extended longer than some of my dear family and friends, so I am thankful for that. I think if we show kindness, we'll generally get the same in return. We have control of the quality of our lives until we no longer exist.

I finally have sat down and read through this thread and all of its responses. Here is what I think. Our life's meaning can change from day to day in some cases. Like the Butterfly Effect, change one little thing, and your whole life can go into a totally different spin and its' meaning for us, personally, can change dramatically.
My life has had its' ups and downs.
I lapsed from religion many times in my 65 years. Went back, and left again. I consider myself a Christian, but do not always wish to follow "what the bible says". So much has changed. But that is a different story all together.
I do not feel we need or should just live for the moment. But, we need to respect each other and realize that we all are different, with different values and opinions.
When my husband died, I thought my world was done. But I think it was just the grief talking. I lived for 45 years of my life before I even met him, and I know I can move on again and embrace my new normal in life.
Must we attend a structured, formal, meeting in a house of worship to show God we believe in him? If it works for you, then good. If it does not, and sitting in a quiet spot, with a warm breeze, just reflecting on how we can make our lives better, than that is good. too.
I have other thoughts, but will save them until I absorb this thread better.

I'll answer the thread title as it reads.

Why is living the answer to life's meaning for you? I've never gone off the deep end in pondering the meaning of life. In my opinion, living is the answer to life's meaning. I think that people should just live their lives and cherish each moment of the present without regretting the past or fearing what may happen in the future.

I think really living and appreciating everything that this life on earth affords us, the beauty of nature, the mystery of the heavens (sky, stars, etc.), the mystique of the ever-changing clouds, the individuality of each and every ocean wave, the majestic wildlife, our fellow human beings, etc.

I'm blessed to have been born on this earth, and I appreciate my time here. My life has already extended longer than some of my dear family and friends, so I am thankful for that. I think if we show kindness, we'll generally get the same in return. We have control of the quality of our lives until we no longer exist.

Of anything, I agree with the most as to what Seabreeze has said here. I do believe that getting out of myself and into the world is the best I can do for being happy as to what it means to be happy. It's said that life and what it's all about is what happens when you stop thinking about what it should be. Just be it!

Last edited:
Good Ghandi quote, Starsong. The same thought has often occurred to me. What would Jesus think of the ideas and attitudes being promoted in the name of what is (supposedly) his religion? How much human misery has been caused? Let's back up to life in medieval Europe and move up through the Spanish inquisition, Puritanism, torture inflicted on those who have different beliefs, terrifying people with ridiculous nonsense about a fictitious place called hell, murderous pogroms against the Jews of Europe, collusion with dictators and vengeance-oriented legal systems, "chastity," (or at least the pretense of it, except when it comes to alter boys), censorship and mind control, attitudes about divorce, intermarriage, homosexuality, sex in general, birth control, speech that is/is not permitted, the place of women, which boils down to either temptresses or saintly baby-making machines, guilt (that one should be in capitals), even the way people dress and what they should be allowed to drink. All of these horrors have been committed in the name of what you call "the answer to life's meaning."

Yes, other religions have committed some of these atrocities also, and continue to do so. But you specifically named Christianity in your question. So that's the religion my answer is aimed at.

Hypo, you seem to be deliberately fanning the flames of a war that no one on this forum will ever win. Why?

I think we need to make a distinction between 'Christianity' and the 'Christian Church. To my mind, being a Christian simply means following the teachings of Jesus. The Church as an institution is a separate thing altogether. Some appalling atrocities have been committed in the name of the Catholic Church.

To live, love, laugh and be happy and have an abundance of beautiful dreams.. What was the question again? I have often pondered the meaning of life ....:alien: so far, so good.

Why is science the answer to life's meaning for you?

Placed science where the _________________ was.

Science explains how old the earth is, & when some form of life began on earth. Science explains species & the evolution process. Science provideS information on how life could begin 3 1/2 billion years ago

Astronauts Identify Mystery Microbes in Space for the 1st Time ...

https://www.space.com › 39254-astronauts-sequence-microbes-dna-in-space
Jan 2, 2018 - ... first time unknown organisms were sequenced and identified entirely in space. ... The astronauts found the mystery microbes were two commonly associated ... NASA astronaut Peggy Whitson sequenced unknown DNA found

Life is about thinking & not blindly accepting stories that are made up to fit the unknown when they were written.

Sorry about my previous 2 posts. I was trying to reply to Trade's post but, obviously, I don't know what I'm doing. :rolleyes:
Get used to it, don't know your age, I'm 78-don't know why I'm allowed to wander around lose.
First three-four years of confusing I've felt awkward saying, 'I dunno and Can't remember.'
Now I can't remember that I've forgotten-makes for an interesting existence, very peculiar.

Marie
Must we attend a structured, formal, meeting in a house of worship to show God we believe in him? If it works for you, then good. If it does not, and sitting in a quiet spot, with a warm breeze, just reflecting on how we can make our lives better, than that is good. too.
I have other thoughts, but will save them until I absorb this thread better.
Yea, most folks faith requires the reinforcement of like-minded people and the Bible requires it---
Talked to a preacher well over thirty years ago (the only Absolutely, Totally Christian Man I carry around in my memory.)
He pinned me on my back sliding ways, Says I: 'Well preacher I guess I'm a professional backslider.'
Now my faith is absolutely unshakeable, I'm not a Job, but change my belief-no way!
My church attendance is now and again, mostly again...

I do know formal churches do a lot of other things rather than teach the faith,;a lot of things which have nothing to do with the word.

Marie, read my girlfriends feelings on this topic:
Some keep the Sabbath going to church, by Emily Dickinson
(I goggle, if not on net, I'll message it to you-Deal?-deal)

Back