Single Seniors - Are You Happier Being Single than Married?

Im happily married now for 28 years. Im one of those guys who doesnt survive well on his own. I want this to continue for another 28 years but that is unlikely age and health wise. I couldn't adjust to a new partner either.

Are there any single seniors here that are happier than when they were married? Are you content to live alone and stay that way for the rest of your life? Those who never married, do you think that marrying someone would make you happier?

I've been married for a long time now, almost thirty nine years, and we lived together before that. I'm happy in my marriage, but if anything happened to my husband, I think I would rather be single and on my own. I doubt I'd have the desire for another serious relationship at all with another man.
I am a widow, and don't mind living alone. However, while the kids don't come around anymore, I do long for someone to share things with. So, I joined a senior group in my town, but home is still lonely. So, I met someone recently and he said he only wants to be friends, and that is great with me. He is a widower and seems to enjoy our company. We want to share things and be there for each other. Now, home is no longer lonely. He goes home and I stay in my home and I love it that way. I have seen lots of senior couples spend times together, be there for each other and mainly spend every day together but marriage is just not going to happen. Love is there and they are very happy and not alone!

I am a widow, and don't mind living alone. However, while the kids don't come around anymore, I do long for someone to share things with. So, I joined a senior group in my town, but home is still lonely. So, I met someone recently and he said he only wants to be friends, and that is great with me. He is a widower and seems to enjoy our company. We want to share things and be there for each other. Now, home is no longer lonely. He goes home and I stay in my home and I love it that way. I have seen lots of senior couples spend times together, be there for each other and mainly spend every day together but marriage is just not going to happen. Love is there and they are very happy and not alone!

Great for you! My relationship is much like yours. Wonderful, isn’t it!

I am still relatively newly single. Just since end of April, this year. Before I married I was very happy being single, always hoped to have a person in my life, but though I dated, Rick came in my 40s and we were together 20 years. Married almost 18.
It is still too soon to say I am "happier" now. I think my answer will be that soon, I will be again very content with my single life. I have yet to come to terms that my marital status has changed from "married" to "Widowed".
Was my married life perfect...no, we had our bad times. But good times too. So, while my new single life may, or may not be happier, I will not spend the rest of my days wallowing in sadness over what I had. Just trying to make my new singly life a happy and productive life.

I was satisfied living single, but at home was boring, lonely and no one to share with. Now I have found someone and we are very happy with each other! I didn't know if I could love someone again, and kind of afraid to, but not anymore. Love after 65 is great!

I've been a widow for almost 16 years. I have done some dating, and even lived with a man for a year after knowing him just a few months. I thought we had a good connection but it fell apart, but I'm happy to say that we stayed friends. I enjoy my life now, just me and the dogs, doing what I want to, when I want to. BUT.....there are times when I miss male companionship, someone to go to dinner or a movie with, enjoy outdoor activities with. Would I want to be married or live with someone again? Good question. If the right man came along, I'm not sure I would even recognize that possibility, given my mind set. But never say never.

If I had known at 20 what I know now, I would never have married. I've been married and divorced 3 times - which makes me a three time loser, I guess. First time 1 1/2 years, then 19 years and the last time 6 years. All big mistakes. Due to a thoroughly dysfunctional childhood, I was primed to make very poor choices. I stayed with the second one as long as I did because I had no way of making greater than minimum wages and I had 4 children - ages 9 to 13, so I went back to school and graduated with a BSN. He manipulated me into staying 5 more years. He was always demanding a divorce when he was annoyed because I wouldn't do something he wanted me to do; he demanded a divorce one time too many.
My youngest daughter and her son has lived with me since her divorce - the son moved out for a couple of years and moved back with his son when he and his GF split 3+ years ago.
I've now been single for over 30 years now and have no desire to ever wed again. However, I am certainly not alone with 3 other people living here - in fact, I could use quite a bit more of alone time at this point. My daughter fell and sustained a very serious injury last spring and has been home almost 24 hours a day. (She hopes to be able to go back to work this fall). Her son works part time and goes to school part time. Someone is here almost all the time. I've always been a bit of a loner who very much enjoys her alone time and it's been pretty scarce around here lately. LOL
As for myself, I take classes at the local Junior college (TaiChi and art) and take music lessons on both banjo and violin - to keep myself out of trouble. I was very, very fortunate to work for an employer who provided their employees with very good pensions and I got in in time to miss the later cut backs so I can live fairly well and help out my kids and for the first time in my life save money. Everything is paid for which never would have happened if I had stayed married to any of my husbands. We always lived on the financial edge of disaster. It took me a number of years to pull myself out of it.
You hardly sound like a loser to me Nozzle! You managed to get a BSN while raising your children and are now able to help them when they are in need. I totally understand needing alone time and hopefully you'll be able to get some once your children's lives get back on track. I hope your daughter heals well and soon. That must've been frightening for you both. I think there are many in this world who regret their marriage(s), especially those of us who lead with our hearts instead of our heads.

Are there any single seniors here that are happier than when they were married? Are you content to live alone and stay that way for the rest of your life? Those who never married, do you think that marrying someone would make you happier?

I've been married for a long time now, almost thirty nine years, and we lived together before that. I'm happy in my marriage, but if anything happened to my husband, I think I would rather be single and on my own. I doubt I'd have the desire for another serious relationship at all with another man.
I have been alone for 16 years now. When my husband passed and the children went their way. I had to settle into a new life of being alone. I HATED it in the begining. I had never been alone before. I went from my parents, to being married, and having children. As I settled into it, I've learned to appreciate it and me more and more. I very much desire a companion, I feel as if I paid my learn to be alone dues, but it is a blessing to know how to be alone.

Definitely being single is Best, I do have a boyfriend of 18 years. He has his place and I have mine. I don't like having to making decisions with anyone, that if I want Ramen noodles for dinner that's what what I'm having. We can't even agree on where to go dinner? My 2 kids live with me, I'm looking to change that, I don't mind living alone, I grew up with 9 brothers and sisters. Done with living with a ton of people.

Life has been much less stressful since my divorce 36 years ago.
An ex girlfriend quickly found out I was divorcing & she quickly got back with me. We got engaged after having a serious talk about honesty & fidelity. Funny....she knew I divorced my wife after she cheated on me, but it didn't stop her from sleeping with her ex after we were engaged. She said I was "Unforgiving" after I said a permanent goodbye to her. I said she was....several things I can't post here.
Not easy to trust after that.

Thst
Life has been much less stressful since my divorce 36 years ago.
An ex girlfriend quickly found out I was divorcing & she quickly got back with me. We got engaged after having a serious talk about honesty & fidelity. Funny....she knew I divorced my wife after she cheated on me, but it didn't stop her from sleeping with her ex after we were engaged. She said I was "Unforgiving" after I said a permanent goodbye to her. I said she was....several things I can't post here.
Not easy to trust after that.
Happens when someone's cheats on you. I've been married twice, my second husband was having children every where, that came back to bite him in the butt, he had to pay me child support plus the other kids he fathered. Yes divorce can be a blessing 🙏

my second husband was having children every where

Not exactly the same thing but your quote made me think of this below.

This girl knew that her mother conceived her with donor sperm. When she grew up she took a DNA test and found her biological father AND 13 sperm siblings. Her father was happy to meet her and the other 13 kids, they all got together and had a party.

Not exactly the same thing but your quote made me think of this below.

This girl knew that her mother conceived her with donor sperm. When she grew up she took a DNA test and found her biological father AND 13 sperm siblings. Her father was happy to meet her and the other 13 kids, they all got together and had a party.

My ex never had a relationship with the kids he fathered and now grandchildren. He doesn't seem to care? I told my kids Bad father-Bad grandfather. Yea, now all those men who where sperm donors, the kids are now finding out who their biological fathers are. They showed one man who had like 36 kids 🙃

After I finally got out of my last marriage which, for a lot of reasons was unbearable, I decided no more, never again. And, at this point in my life I don't see me meeting anyone. Having said that, my parents will celebrate their 70th wedding anniversary on January 13. I regret that I will never have the closeness they have; I'll never have someone beside me that I can totally depend on; I'll have no one to discuss movies, books, family happenings; I'll have no one I can cry with or lean on for help; I won't have the opportunity to cuddle up with someone at night. If, somehow, someway, I were to meet someone with the same regrets in life I may re-think things. And I may not.

After I finally got out of my last marriage which, for a lot of reasons was unbearable, I decided no more, never again. And, at this point in my life I don't see me meeting anyone. Having said that, my parents will celebrate their 70th wedding anniversary on January 13. I regret that I will never have the closeness they have; I'll never have someone beside me that I can totally depend on; I'll have no one to discuss movies, books, family happenings; I'll have no one I can cry with or lean on for help; I won't have the opportunity to cuddle up with someone at night. If, somehow, someway, I were to meet someone with the same regrets in life I may re-think things. And I may not.

I know how you feel, though I do have a boyfriend of 18yrs, I can't count on he's very spoiled. When I asked him to help with something he moans and groans....I HATE IT. He does have a Good Heart, he's just Lazy. I miss sharing responsibility for when things happen, I'm left to figure things out for myself. I won't marry him done it twice, Enough 🙃

I have been a widow 2+ years. Enjoy living alone, hate the lack of companionship (esp at night in bed). I do have a ‘fella currently, being lonely at night isn’t a reason to rush into anything.

I decided several years ago that good friends are much better than lovers. A love relationship requires too many commitments and expectations.

fanci...remember Murder She Wrote...the companionship between widow Jessica Fletcher and home town doctor Seth Hasslot? Cool!

fanci...remember Murder She Wrote...the companionship between widow Jessica Fletcher and home town doctor Seth Hasslot? Cool!
I felt the same way. Lonely at home. I have met someone and we share, and go places together and he has his home and so do I. No longer alone and the grandkids and children don't come around anymore. So, I am in the same place and like it that way. So far.

And I loved the episodes with Claude akins
You know, most every night I fall asleep watching an episode of Murder She Wrote...being a "flipper", tend to see if its one of my favs or not. If not...flip over to Hitchcock or something else, but most always keep flipping back and forth. My mom used to love Angela Landsbury and even wore her hair like she did!

Still think those older mystery type series shows were the best!

Back