The silence of living alone.

I can't stand a quiet house. The only time this house is quiet is when I'm ready to go to sleep. I have the radio or the TV on all the time. A quiet house is too lonely for me.
I used to love my own company and didn't need external noise from media or phones - now, I have wifi running 24-7 with news, weather, Netflix. If it went down, I think I would lose my mind. I have also considered answering those unknown callers, just to have a dialog with another human.

I live out in the country too... Have friends who drop in now and then... But I also talk to myself, especially when I am out in my shop... Been caught a few times, But they all know me by now... Have some pretty great conversations... Also, talk to myself when I am out cutting the grass on the tractor...
I will not admit that today I caught myself doing that too sad... estranged daughters.

I know that silence and fuzzybuddy it is hard to deal with. Ever since that day on December 12, 2018 when my husband was tragically killed on the job as he was a Police officer and I realized he was never coming home and then shortly after that my youngest daughter moving out I have that silence other than the company of my Yellow Lab Finn who is a godsend. I do not know if you are able to get a pet, but having one has helped me out a lot. Last year this time I certainly was not thinking I would be living alone even though my husband and I knew my youngest would be leaving the nest. I never thought my husband would have lost his life in the line of duty. It is hard fuzzybuddy and if you can get a pet I would highly recommend it.
Wonder how your doing. How is your Lab?

Being a real "country boy" I love the quiet places out in the country. Love to hear the birds. Don't like the terrible music in the malls. Don't like TV at all unless I am watching my ROKU or great shows like "Gunsmoke" or "Rifleman". Don't like traffic either. Guess I am noise sensitive.

Being a real "country boy" I love the quiet places out in the country. Love to hear the birds. Don't like the terrible music in the malls. Don't like TV at all unless I am watching my ROKU or great shows like "Gunsmoke" or "Rifleman". Don't like traffic either. Guess I am noise sensitive.
I am too. But I was told my noise sensitivity is because of my anxiety.

I am accustomed to the silence. I have spent my entire life never having people in my life really. It started when I was young. The kids at school didn't understand my Tourette Syndrome so I was socially shunned. Later in life I had difficulties playing well with others so I secluded myself. After my 2nd divorce and a couple boyfriends later, I still had no companionship or friendship to show for it. I slowly began to isolate myself from everyone. Then I worked for a man who hurt me so badly emotionally that I withdrew even farther. I've never really recovered and I have found solace and safety in being alone. Every time I reach out to others they give me a reason to withdraw again. No one seems very interested in taking the time to get to know me or spending any time with me. Please note that I'm not complaining. I have just pretty much accepted the fact that I am going to be alone for the rest of my life. I've embraced it. I'm learning to enjoy it. I hate the noise of life and all the incessant jibber jabber that goes on. Doors slamming, music blaring, engines revving, people just jabbering away all day long about nothing. The racket at work. It's nice to come home to the peace and quiet and be able to adjust the volume of life at home. In my 50s now and this has been taking place little by little since I was a little girl. I have learned to keep myself busy and find things that bring me joy. If it's too quiet and you like soft music...find a way to make that happen.
Yeah, ignorance is not a good thing. I worked in retail sporting goods & was familiar with Tourette's, having read up on it. A customer who had Tourette's came in & my co-workers immediately started to make fun of him. I told the customer (loud enough for everyone to hear): "Just ignore them; they're morons." After I helped the customer with the sale & paperwork (he was buying a firearm), my co-workers let me know how angry they were at me. I just laughed. They asked, "What the hell is so funny?" I said, "Your stupidity."

For over a year, I was in and out of hospitals, care facilities,and 1 home. When I go to my local ER, I can point and say,"I've been in that cubicle, that one, that one, that one, this one's my favorite". But now I'm home. What bothers me is the silence. In all those previous places, people were running around, shouting, coughing, even vomiting. Now NOTHING. I live in the sticks where you can here deer hoofs clicking on the rocks. I have to have the TV on, if I'm awake.

I live alone, but I have neighbours very close by, and a four lane highway! So it’s not quiet by any means. I like having my tv on or my music but I’m just as happy curled up reading. I never really feel alone, I have a rich head-life so there’s a constant dialogue happening....I had a friend boarding with me for three months and it nearly drove me nuts.

I have also considered answering those unknown callers, just to have a dialog with another human.
I remember a friend when he was a new widower, he said he loved talking to telemarketers just to have someone to talk to. While most of us won't even take those calls, he eagerly waited for them. We had to take turns to check on him every now and then to make sure he's okay.

I enjoy solitude every now and then but more often, I crave for meaningful human connection.

Being a real "country boy" I love the quiet places out in the country. Love to hear the birds. Don't like the terrible music in the malls. Don't like TV at all unless I am watching my ROKU or great shows like "Gunsmoke" or "Rifleman". Don't like traffic eithebr. Guess I am noise sensitive.
How did you get yourself so tiny and in that little circle? I am trying to get my picture up loaded I have no idea how you did that. You mention it took you 3 days to do it. Maybe you could send me a clue.
If you can.
Autumn72

I like the silence. And since I have a brand new Alexa that I just received as a gift, I can always have music, listen to voices talking, etc. by just saying, "Alexa, play (such-and-such). " You can even ask it to tell a joke, play the news, give you a recipe, answer a question, etc. Not quite the same thing as having another human being in the house, but a good remedy for silence if you hate it.

TV radio or a few fans always on to break the silence. always. The fans help me sleep at bedtime. Drown out any outside noises.

I can't stand the silence. I usually turn the TV on as soon as I'm awake.
Same here, but sometimes I just get a cup of coffee, breakfast, and look out the window and just listen. Listen to the quiet. It is more quiet now since the virus hit because there aren't as many cars going by early in the morning. When school starts up, if it does, we will see. Wal Mart doesn't stay open 24 hours anymore, and that is near me. I get up really early, and the silence is very welcome, then when 7 or 7:30 hits, time to turn on the news. And the dogs get up, time for a morning walk and the dogs.

I used to listen to, focus on, the sounds of the night, as I call it, in order to fall asleep. I would be able to name the sounds like a cricket, fan blowing, air conditioner just went off, refrigerator, dog barking, cars, and the list goes on.

Back