Two LA deputies shot , ambush style

Amen!

I'm sure that I'll be accused of blaming the victims but non-compliance with police seems to be a common thread in many of these high profile deaths that is rarely mentioned as a contributing/escalating factor.
Yes, They were all resisting a lawful arrest. If they had not been committing a crime, they would not have had encounters with the police.
Please don't disarm the police. Disarm the criminals.

If they were 'innocent' they wouldn't have encountered the police , in a manner that became so violent.

Note: In no way at all am I justifying anyone getting shot due to past mistakes that have been made.

There is no justification for those two police officers to get shot while on duty doing their job. I hope the killers get punished to the
extend of the law.

Having said that, citizens can encounter the police who ARE innocent. This guy got pulled over for the taillight missing. That’s not a violent crime. It could have just gone out however this is what happened.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/abcnews.go.com/amp/US/white-georgia-sheriffs-deputy-beating-black-man-viral/story?id=72981224

I hope the police officers recovery from this. It’s a horrible thing to have happened. Their family must be so worried about them.

It’s too bad people pick sides instead of judging each incidence individually.

RadiseRose:
Becky1951:
Pinky:

A bit of info: Officers are trained to shoot center of mass when they make the decision to shoot. There are good reasons for that:
1. "Shooting to wound" only works in movies; not real life. In a movie, a leg or arm wound knocks someone off their feet, spins them around, knocks them off their horse, off a building, or through a window. Those are stunts, performed by professional stunt men/stunt women for dramatic effect. In real life, such a wound does not incapacitate (which is the purpose of deadly force). If someone is charging with a knife, hatchet, hammer, etc. a shot to wound will not prevent injury from an assailant. Even a torso hit does not always incapacitate immediately. And often, an assailant will be on drugs that further make them resistant to shock.

2. A leg or arm wound that hits a major artery can easily cause death due to bleeding - and it has. That's why shooting anyone anywhere is legally considered "Attempted Murder."

3. Legs and arms are small, moving targets. That means misses are more likely. Misses endanger innocent bystanders - like that employee of "Trader Joe's" who was killed by a police officer who was trying to shoot a suspect who fled into the store she managed.

Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves,” what does it mean to you? To me, it means that if you're seeking revenge, you might as well destroy, not only the other person or persons, but also yourself.

RadiseRose:
Becky1951:
Pinky:

A bit of info: Officers are trained to shoot center of mass when they make the decision to shoot. There are good reasons for that:
1. "Shooting to wound" only works in movies; not real life. In a movie, a leg or arm wound knocks someone off their feet, spins them around, knocks them off their horse, off a building, or through a window. Those are stunts, performed by professional stunt men/stunt women for dramatic effect. In real life, such a wound does not incapacitate (which is the purpose of deadly force). If someone is charging with a knife, hatchet, hammer, etc. a shot to wound will not prevent injury from an assailant. Even a torso hit does not always incapacitate immediately. And often, an assailant will be on drugs that further make them resistant to shock.

2. A leg or arm wound that hits a major artery can easily cause death due to bleeding - and it has. That's why shooting anyone anywhere is legally considered "Attempted Murder."

3. Legs and arms are small, moving targets. That means misses are more likely. Misses endanger innocent bystanders - like that employee of "Trader Joe's" who was killed by a police officer who was trying to shoot a suspect who fled into the store she managed.

Thank you win231, I thought it was only the military who shot center mass.

Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves,” what does it mean to you? To me, it means that if you're seeking revenge, you might as well destroy, not only the other person or persons, but also yourself.
This is how I feel. This is all becoming tit for tat but with people who have guns and too many lives are getting lost due to it. It’s a real shame.

Tit for tat eh? A cycle of revenge and counter revenge played out over and over......is that what modern society has come to?
Aeschylus wrote a three part play called the Oresteia two and half millennia ago dealing with essentially the same predicament. In the end the goddess Athena presided over a trial with Athenian citizens as a jury and the god Apollo acting as Orestes' advocate.
What conclusion? A civilized society supplants an endless cycle of retribution with the rule of law.

Events of the last several months do not speak well for the state of civilization in modern America.

We haven’t seen nothing yet. Here’s another person of color being shot by a city cop over the weekend. The cop was called for a domestic violence incident and the man ran at the cop cursing and holding a knife in the air. You be the judge.

Lancaster, PA

I did see that. This country is so horribly divided against itself.

Tit for tat eh? A cycle of revenge and counter revenge played out over and over......is that what modern society has come to?
Aeschylus wrote a three part play called the Oresteia two and half millennia ago dealing with essentially the same predicament. In the end the goddess Athena presided over a trial with Athenian citizens as a jury and the god Apollo acting as Orestes' advocate.
What conclusion? A civilized society supplants an endless cycle of retribution with the rule of law.

Events of the last several months do not speak well for the state of civilization in modern America.
Thank you for bringing back memories. I studied that in Freshman English class more years ago than I want to admit to. Many years later, I was actually at the tomb of Agamemnon.

What criminal activity are you referring to?
What crime took place?
What proof of the criminal activity is there?
The ONLY crime I saw taking place was someone getting murdered.

CLEARLY, you don’t care how the police handle it!

If you are referring to the Floyd incident ? The police were called because he was passing phony money.

Quite the opposite, IMO. Every time I see these riots and unruly protests taking place, I become more convinced that these stupid lawbreakers deserve any and all punishment the law allows.
There is a Real Simple solution to resolving the vast majority of police related shootings, IMO, Obey the Laws.
If you're anything like me, no, but what I get a charge out of, is I seem to pick-up on a general notion that when it comes to the shooting of a police officer by someone in the general public, everyone get's all up in arms over it, but when a police officer shoots someone in an unauthorized fashion, the general public should clap their hands.

My rage for police brutality and corruption is stratospheric, and I will not for a second, dilute or downplay my outright love of, an eye for an eye.

I think you're comparing apples to oranges, cold-blooded murder
I appreciate your words, Jerry, and sadly, it is anger bubbling and boiling inside of me.

It just seems like it's one, after another, after another, after another these days, of innocent people being killed by police.

Just brings out the worst in me.
You weren't there....

Several shots were fired. Maybe he did try to just wound him. The man with the knife was already facing several charges of stabbing people, one in the face.

What if he shot him in the leg, and then got stabbed in the heart?

If you are referring to the Floyd incident ? The police were called because he was passing phony money.
What phoney money?
Where’s the professional who claimed it was phoney money?
Where is the evidence?
What were the police going to do with this considering there was no evidence?

Here’s what we do know happened.
He got tracked down, taken out of his truck and aggressively held with so much force by three police officers, that he died in their ‘care’ , if that word could even be used. Oddly enough there are members here who watched all that and stated that they couldn’t believe they just witnessed a murder take place.

There are plenty of other examples of people getting aggressively and unfairly treated on both sides from what I see and it seems to have turned more into a war between civilians and the police which is crazy.

There are sides and I’m on the side of proper treatment of everyone. What happened to ‘innocent until proven guilty.?’ People are getting deemed guilty and are being murdered without going through the proper channels, like the courts, jury and judges.

I think I’m with the majority of people who haven’t a clue what’s going on. I don’t have the mentality to understand any of this on either side. Who walks up casually and shoots police officers in the head? It’s beyond my comprehension but so is all this other stuff. I don’t understand how breaking into stores and stealing television sets and vandalizing society is the least bit helpful fir any cause.

This is some really messed up stuff. Hatred is a horrible thing and causes a lot of damage. My heart goes out to all the victims. Being a police officer these days seems to have become an extra dangerous job that I can’t imagine doing.
Unfortunately I don’t have any answers to any of this and since it’s not even my country I’m going to stop discussing it. It only makes me feel horrible.
There are things I never noticed until now. 😒

The shooting itself, then the crowd's reaction are unconscionable. I know people are angry with police in that city for what went down but not all cops are bad cops. I hope the shooter is caught and punished to the fullest extent of the law. I also hope that both officers recover. I saw the video of the female officer trying to give aid to her partner when she was shot up herself. :cry:

@rpg...Re Floyd and phony money. If you got a set of bills as change, would you inspect each one to see if it's phony before you went ahead and spent it? Most people would not. I have occasion done it with $100 bills which I never liked receiving but smaller bills can be counterfit as well. Next point...does someone deserve to be murdered by police because they allegedly passed counterfit money? I notice the boy that came across state lines, carrying an assault rifle and killed two protesters was not even shot afterward, let alone killed. Think about it !

The shooting itself, then the crowd's reaction are unconscionable. I know people are angry with police in that city for what went down but not all cops are bad cops. I hope the shooter is caught and punished to the fullest extent of the law. I also hope that both officers recover. I saw the video of the female officer trying to give aid to her partner when she was shot up herself. :cry:

@rpg...Re Floyd and phony money. If you got a set of bills as change, would you inspect each one to see if it's phony before you went ahead and spent it? Most people would not. I have occasion done it with $100 bills which I never liked receiving but smaller bills can be counterfit as well. Next point...does someone deserve to be murdered by police because they allegedly passed counterfit money? I notice the boy that came across state lines, carrying an assault rifle and killed two protesters was not even shot afterward, let alone killed. Think about it !

Pretty sure I passed a counterfeit $20 on my own once. I spotted it, stuck it in a pocket to turn it in somewhere, then gave it to a cab driver by mistake.

What phoney money?
Where’s the professional who claimed it was phoney money?
Where is the evidence?
What were the police going to do with this considering there was no evidence?

Here’s what we do know happened.
He got tracked down, taken out of his truck and aggressively held with so much force by three police officers, that he died in their ‘care’ , if that word could even be used. Oddly enough there are members here who watched all that and stated that they couldn’t believe they just witnessed a murder take place.

There are plenty of other examples of people getting aggressively and unfairly treated on both sides from what I see and it seems to have turned more into a war between civilians and the police which is crazy.

There are sides and I’m on the side of proper treatment of everyone. What happened to ‘innocent until proven guilty.?’ People are getting deemed guilty and are being murdered without going through the proper channels, like the courts, jury and judges.

I think I’m with the majority of people who haven’t a clue what’s going on. I don’t have the mentality to understand any of this on either side. Who walks up casually and shoots police officers in the head? It’s beyond my comprehension but so is all this other stuff. I don’t understand how breaking into stores and stealing television sets and vandalizing society is the least bit helpful fir any cause.

This is some really messed up stuff. Hatred is a horrible thing and causes a lot of damage. My heart goes out to all the victims. Being a police officer these days seems to have become an extra dangerous job that I can’t imagine doing.
Unfortunately I don’t have any answers to any of this and since it’s not even my country I’m going to stop discussing it. It only makes me feel horrible.
There are things I never noticed until now. 😒

I didn't say it was phony money, I said that was the reason the police were called. And that was what set the whole thing in motion. Had he cooperated from the beginning , when the police arrived....he would have never even been placed in cuffs.

"He got tracked down, taken out of his truck and aggressively held with so much force by three police officers, that he died in their ‘care’ "

He may have died 'in their care' but they did not kill him. He killed himself by his lifestyle & his resistance to the arrest.

Back