Up to 18 people shot at Walmart El Paso Texas

All this hand wringing. Let's look at the actual amendments.

1st amendment...
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

4th amendment
THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place
to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

2nd amendment
A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

Please note the founding fathers specifically spelled out THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE when writing these amendment. That makes it a personal RIGHT in my mind. I fail to see how one could see it any other way.

New Zealand has a very small population - around 4 million people.

After the mosque massacres in Christchurch the government took immediate action, prohibiting a range of firearms. These weapons could be handed in under amnesty and voluntary gun buy backs were organised around the country starting on July 13.

The result?

"A total of 10,242 firearms have been handed into NZ Police as part of the firearms buy-back scheme, as of 11 August," New Zealand police said in the statement.

"Additionally, another 1,269 firearms have been handed in under amnesty. A range of prohibited firearms have been handed in."

The police are happy with this result and are planning more buy back events.

Find out who were the People when the 2nd was written. It wasn't everybody.
That's a matter of history. History interests some people, but not me. My concern is living in the world as it is NOW as safely as I can without becoming a victim an without my loved ones becoming victims. As long as criminals are released from prison early, after serving a fraction of their sentences & crazies full of hate are roaming around free, I'll do whatever I can to stay safe. The 2nd Amendment was written in different times.

No......really....what are those evil assault rifles for? Well, here is one family that is grateful their son had one: (Hint: family safe, but 3 dirtbags at room temperature, female mastermind of the home invasion - turned herself in (very upset at the loss of her "friends") And SHE will be charged with their deaths. She's 21 & A MOTHER OF 3. Nice to see an ideal outcome. Looks like the son had a "Rambo Complex." :p

If it had been my house they would have been shot with my Ruger .357 magnum. That would have been more than adequate.

That's a matter of history. History interests some people, but not me. My concern is living in the world as it is NOW as safely as I can without becoming a victim an without my loved ones becoming victims. As long as criminals are released from prison early, after serving a fraction of their sentences & crazies full of hate are roaming around free, I'll do whatever I can to stay safe. The 2nd Amendment was written in different times.
I understand but when you get into the law you have to read the law when it was written when it comes to the Constitution.
I often wonder why there are so many crazies.

If someone thinks resolving the mental health epidemic* in the US will be a successful way to prevent gun violence, they are looking to complicate and ignore a very simple solution. Just tighten background checks, ban certain types of guns and ammo, and your'e there. The Second Amendment prevails and war artillery is kept out of the wrong hands.

* Did you know the highest rate of suicide in America is amongst white men 85 years old and over?
The cities with the strictness gun control laws have the highest shootings.
Newsflash....criminals don't follow laws.
People don't decide to commit suicide based on guns. They decide based on mental health. They will always find a means.
Once we see past the political side of this will we get to the real problem.

The cities with the strictness gun control laws have the highest shootings.
I know this is true, however I am not sure how the cause and effect works. Is the stricter gun control because of higher crime rates, or visa versa?

And how effective can local gun control laws be when its so easy to transport them in from places without the controls?

Stricter gun control laws (taking away guns from Americans) would have an effect in two major ways; 1) It would turn normal Americans into criminals overnight, because people will not give up their guns. And they will be threatened with jail time. Putting taxpayers in jail would bankrupt the country. 2) More people would die because good guys with guns would be disarmed allowing killing fields to open up across the country.
Remember why we have a 2nd amendment, not for hunting.

Back