What do you do for exercise? What motivates you to do it?

I'm 67 and at the gym, 5 days a week, for a 2-hour workout every day. Take a couple if step classes, a boot camp class, a combined aerobic-weights class, and one day a week on a stair climber. I weight lift 4 days a week for about 45 minutes a day. There is no question about motivation. I'm old, have no significant health problems, can still jog a 5-k every day (I do that in the nice weather), and I want to be able to continue being healthy as long as possible. I'm very aware of the many benefits of working out for your mental state as well as physical state.
DW and I also continue to do mountain hiking on trips. Want to be able to do those 3000 foot climbs in the western National Parks as long as possible.

I knit. Once in a while I crochet.

I'm joking. Actually I walk nearly every day unless the sidewalks are icy, which is rare here. I do stretching exercises using the Osmond technique and I do tai-chi 6 days a week. The combination works very well for me.

I'm 67 and at the gym, 5 days a week, for a 2-hour workout every day. Take a couple if step classes, a boot camp class, a combined aerobic-weights class, and one day a week on a stair climber. I weight lift 4 days a week for about 45 minutes a day. There is no question about motivation. I'm old, have no significant health problems, can still jog a 5-k every day (I do that in the nice weather), and I want to be able to continue being healthy as long as possible. I'm very aware of the many benefits of working out for your mental state as well as physical state.
DW and I also continue to do mountain hiking on trips. Want to be able to do those 3000 foot climbs in the western National Parks as long as possible.

That sounds real good, rt. My workout schedule is very similar to yours. I am 72 and work out in our Home Gym 5 days each week. I alternate between the treadmill and lifting using the barbell and dumbbells. My rest days are Wednesdays and Sundays. Currently I'm doing reps at 200 on the bench and also do dumbbell rows, lats, and curls. You are right about the mental benefits of working out. We have some great country roads here at the ranch, but it is too dang cold in the winter and much too hot in the summer to do road work outside. I have slowly become more comfortable on the treadmill, but I much prefer to observe nature and the beautiful country outside when I run.

After reading some of these posts, I need to step it up!

Yes, Ma'am....in recent years, I have seen several old friends and relatives having increased health problems...and even death. For the most part, they all share a couple of common traits....sitting around all day, and gaining weight. Finding something to do that exercises your body, and keeping the excess weight off are probably the TWO best ways to insure a healthy and productive retirement.

Yes, Ma'am....in recent years, I have seen several old friends and relatives having increased health problems...and even death. For the most part, they all share a couple of common traits....sitting around all day, and gaining weight. Finding something to do that exercises your body, and keeping the excess weight off are probably the TWO best ways to insure a healthy and productive retirement.

Hi Don, a year ago this month I joined Planet Fitness/ and started eating better and have lost 30 lbs. all because of the things you talked about. I should have lost more, but the holidays for some reason make me think I can eat whatever. I want to start yoga, so looking to do that this year. After reading the things everyone does, I really do need to do more. I used to love to hike, but hiking alone is not an option these days..I like your siggy. :D

Hi Don, a year ago this month I joined Planet Fitness/ and started eating better and have lost 30 lbs. all because of the things you talked about. I should have lost more, but the holidays for some reason make me think I can eat whatever. I want to start yoga, so looking to do that this year. After reading the things everyone does, I really do need to do more. I used to love to hike, but hiking alone is not an option these days..I like your siggy. :D

I'm firmly convinced that there is NO substitute for "Diet and Exercise" if a person wants to stay healthy in their Senior years. For me, it's easy, since I can look out the window on any given day and see hours of good outdoor work to do...but for someone who lives in an Urban environment, especially an apartment, it takes some effort to shut off the TV, and go for a walk.

I came in from outdoors a few minutes ago, after splitting another cord of firewood. The logsplitter did 90% of the work, but I still lifted and tossed about 4,000 lbs of wood. Now, relax a bit, then take a shower, and eat a good Supper to replenish the calories I burned off today.

I do miss burning burning wood, best heat ever! In spring,summer, and fall, I have plenty to keep me busy, I have a huge yard, and love working in it, especially with my flowers. Right now it is cold, snowy and icy at times, so not much walking outside.
I'm looking forward to spring!!

[h=1]What do you do for exercise? What motivates you to do it?[/h]
I do a certain amount of household chores, work on repairs/improvements for our home, and cut/split firewood for exercise.

My wife works and I'm long retired. So, I do housework...to maintain peace and promote our relationship. I repair the house because I must. I improve the house to...enhance pleasantries between us. I cut/split firewood for profit...cash not spent on LP. And of course, staying fit motivates me on all counts.

I go through the Pa-kua Chang and Fa-shu Tao kata (forms) which takes about an hour, practice Iron Palm training for about 30 minutes, Five Animal Frolics chi-kung takes about half-hour, weaponry training takes maybe half-hour, and that's about it. I do a lot of walking through the apartment, to the bus stop, in the supermarket, etc. No idea how much. Often thought about getting a pedometer, but never have yet.

3 - 4 Resistance/Cardio Workouts per week. Bodyweight, Kettlebells, Dumbbells, Heavy Bag kicks & strikes, walking 2-3x a week, some biking when the snow melts.

My motivation....the size 40 pants that I once wore that I kept as a reminder to move!

Hi Ameriscot -

Good for you for exercising regularly. I'm a big fan too, mostly because I want a long and fully functional life.

What motivates me?

I've read that with regular exercise, proper nutrition and maintaining a healthy weight, you virtually eliminate the chances of getting any kind of heart disease, diabetes, osteoporosis, sarcopenia, most cancers, and also dramatically reduce the probability of experiencing any kind of cognitive decline.

So I go to the gym regularly - 4-5 days per week, plus walking and/or cycling on the weekend.

I plan on living a long life, and I'm going to enjoy every minute of it.

My husband does more push-ups each day than most people have done in a lifetime, and when I see him all pumped-up and feeling energized after, it inspires me, but my drive vs his pales in comparison.

I stay active, though, going for power walks and busying myself outside, but wish I could adopt more of a workout into my daily life. We are considering an exercise machine of sorts, so maybe that will be the game-changer for me.

Except for an inattentive gap from 1976 to 1979, I have always worked out doing some combination of cardio, weight training, martial arts and yoga. Even now, as I deal with the effects of prostrate cancer, I still manage to get in about 30 minutes of exercise every day. It is nothing like I used to do, but I walk on most days including some hill climbing, ride my recumbent bike when the weather is bad, spend a few minutes on my cable machine, do a little Yoga, and spend a few minutes on my rower. If I slacked off, my wife (and my younger 72 year old brother) would be on my case in a hurry.

Working out seems to make me happier, my weight is two pounds heavier than when I retired from the Navy in 1991. Along the way, I also learned that I got noticeably better grades if I stuck with a workout schedule during my Graduate work. I also don't have any "unfriendly" conversations with my Doctor. In the past, I have had "unfriendly" conversations with Doctors when I have overdone it and paid the price with pain and tendon injuries.

I will be happy when this COVID problem gets solved as I do miss going to a regular gym and swimming.

I stay active, though, going for power walks and busying myself outside, but wish I could adopt more of a workout into my daily life. We are considering an exercise machine of sorts, so maybe that will be the game-changer for me.

If you are thinking about a home gym/exercise machine, look for something like these Band Flex units. I bought one years ago, and it is my primary Winter fitness "machine". I can do literally dozens of exercises with it, to keep the entire body fit...and it must be helping since I just turned 78, and can still do pretty much what I want. And they fold up if space is a consideration.

I don't think they make these anymore, but this will give you a general idea of something worth having.

https://www.amazon.com/Stamina-50-0202-Band-Flex-Gym/dp/B000JBZYT2

If you are thinking about a home gym/exercise machine, look for something like these Band Flex units. I bought one years ago, and it is my primary Winter fitness "machine". I can do literally dozens of exercises with it, to keep the entire body fit...and it must be helping since I just turned 78, and can still do pretty much what I want. And they fold up if space is a consideration.

I don't think they make these anymore, but this will give you a general idea of something worth having.

https://www.amazon.com/Stamina-50-0202-Band-Flex-Gym/dp/B000JBZYT2
Wow! I very much appreciate the recommendation! Thanks, Don!

That is exactly what we we've been mulling around, something that performs a variety of workouts rather than just one.

No worries over it being discontinued now, as it gives us a solid footing as to where to direct our attention as far as something similar goes.

Didn't see any threads on this and am wondering what everyone does to get/keep fit and healthy?

I go to the gym 3 mornings a week, and at home I do dumbbells, lunges, squats, planks, abs, etc etc. I've done a lot of research and building muscle as well as cardio exercise is very important for good health, bone density, stamina, strong heart and lungs, reducing chances of injury, etc etc. So I'll keep doing this until I simply can't any more. I'm 62 but physically feel like about 40. :)
I am on Weight Watchers and I eat according to how many points I am allowed on the Blue plan and I walk 10,000 + steps a day, or most days. I have lost 3 sizes and 22 pounds in 5 months. Going to stay on it!

Didn't see any threads on this and am wondering what everyone does to get/keep fit and healthy?

I go to the gym 3 mornings a week, and at home I do dumbbells, lunges, squats, planks, abs, etc etc. I've done a lot of research and building muscle as well as cardio exercise is very important for good health, bone density, stamina, strong heart and lungs, reducing chances of injury, etc etc. So I'll keep doing this until I simply can't any more. I'm 62 but physically feel like about 40. :)
I walk 3 times a day with an app on my phone that counts my steps (10,000 a day) and when I lose weight, that motivates me!

I have a small room with a weight bench, a glider, some free weights, an assortment of bands and a small area to do movement workouts. I try to do at least 20 min. of something at least 4 days a week. I do it for me, my health and well being.

Back